Noob! Please help

savna

I bought my first dslr today. The nikon d3100. I was wondering if there was some sort of spreadsheet with optimal settings for different things like long exposure, ESPECIALLY PORTRAIT. Anyone have any feedback?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi savna and welcome to Nikonites.

As far as your question, my suggestion would be to start with the owner's manual. There are plenty of explanations about the different shooting modes and their effects on the final picture. There are NO magical settings for different conditions because conditions vary too much from one situation to the other. It's better for you to take a bit of time learning what does what in photography as every setting is related or has effect on the outcome.

You can also go online to find some great tutoring and videos on how to set your camera, but I strongly suggest you learn the basics by trial and error than by applying a magic method. Settings suggested by others will not make you learn and give you experience. Taking lots of pictures will.

Enjoy your Nikon!

Cowboybillybob1

You are a lucky guy. Not only do you have a great camera but you are a member of this great forum. People like Marcel love to help others but you have to be willing to help yourself as well.

It's the journey where all the fun is and the photos are just road markers as to where we are at.

Geeze.. does that sound corny or what?????

Have fun and welcome aboard.

SkvLTD

I'll go head and put it in layman's terms: set your shortcut button to ISO setting, dial in the M mode, and then play around using the exposure meter(the meter stick bar you see in the viewfinder that fills to the left or right unless you hit that next-to-golden middle) until you get a hang of how ISO, shitter speed, and aperture come together in taking pictures.

Towards the left is over-exposure aka lighter pics than that supposed golden middle. Towards the right are under-exposed shots that yield less light but more shadows and details. Past that, play around and see what looks best to you. And remember that you can always photoshop anything after you take it to dial it in.

Things like clouds work better slightly under-exposed so you can actually see them later on.

§am

Welcome to the site.

Use your camera in (photographic) anger... use and abuse it (with great care), and just fire off loads of practice pictures with manual to hand.