D90 - Picture Quality Settings?

funfortehfun

For the most part I've been using JPEG Basic for my pictures. I'm not at all a picture 'shopper for the most part, so I'm just wondering if there's a difference in quality between JPEG Basic and JPEG Fine other than the amount of images that you can take.

fotojack

If you want better quality pictures, JPEG Fine is the way to go. In your Shooting Menu, under Image Quality, maybe use the Vivid setting. Gives great colour rendition and contrast.

In my experience after ehaustive testing if you use fine normal or basic it will make no difference to the picture quality (test it out.. zoom in no difference) ...BUT you must use large for the best quality as you will then be using all the pixels you have. The only other adjustments you can make are under picture control where I would advise contrast at -1 to avoid burnt whites and sharpness at at least +6. Other than that you can only make improvements by underexposing say 1/2 stop and adjusting in software later

Last edited:

Bill4282

Get a copy of D90 for Dummies. Available as an ebook. Explains all you need to know about the D90 and the settings. PS - Nikon calls it NEF instead of RAW.

Deezey

is it really there any difference jpeg fine and RAW? anyone care to help? thanks

RAW only dictates how much control you have over an image. Jpeg Fine will give beautiful results too. But to really make up your mind save in a RAW+JPEG format.

Then make your own conclusions. The quality is not what matters in choosing a file format. Only the possible outcome.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Bill4282

Here is an excellent explanation: RAW vs. JPEG. If you use jpeg+raw, you are saving two pics every time you shoot. you will get fewer pictures per SD card. Also, The finer the pics, the more space each pic uses. Most prefer JPEG Fine, medium size. These settings are in the menu.

Last edited: