Refurb Nikon DSLRs

stmv

yes, sometimes the best way,,, if factory refurbished. Personally, I buy cameras about every 4 years, and with the D800 would like to extend that to 6 years (rate of change is slowing down), so,, I guess, I would prefer to save up a few hundred more,, and buy brand new for cameras.

Where I try to buy used is lens! I would say that 90% of my lens are used. The exception has been:

1. when the lens is limited supply and the used price barely drops: like the 105 DC

2. or the lens is just so darn cheap to begn with like: 50mm 1.8 D (bought new at 119 dollars!).

but with cameras, the discounts are not that great..

sometimes or most of the time, best way to save money is to buy the camera on the way out.

best Nikon SLR prices currently:

3100 -> 399 (from 499)

5100 -> 496 (from 700) (a great deal)

7000 -> 896 (from 1200),, another great deal

New SLRs at refurbished prices! and each a great camera in their group.

even the D800 now is 2800 dollars brand new (I paid 3200!),,

So right now,, if you have been waiting, brand new SLRs are at great prices.. lowest that they have been for these models. and you get the full warranty, and like a new car.. that new camera smell.

TedG954

Both of my Nikon cameras (D5100 & D800) were purchased as refurbished. I haven't experienced a single problem with either. To look at them, you couldn't tell the difference from NIB.

I believe refurb is the way to go. I paid $429 for the D5100 almost a year ago, and $2299 for the D800 last month. With Adorama, I have an 18 month warranty with the D800.

trarmstrong

I am struggling with the idea of getting a refurbished D7000 over new one (body only). the difference is 143.00 (and the Refurbished includes 18-55 lens.

Should I get it for that difference? I know it has been looked over by Nikon but how about cosmetic damage? Can a refurbished camera have cosmetic damage?

TedG954

I am struggling with the idea of getting a refurbished D7000 over new one (body only). the difference is 143.00 (and the Refurbished includes 18-55 lens.

Should I get it for that difference? I know it has been looked over by Nikon but how about cosmetic damage? Can a refurbished camera have cosmetic damage?

I can only share my own personal experience. Both refurbished cameras I received looked perfect and as new as anything in a store. Refurbished is the only way I'd go.

Good luck.

Dave_W

The Dude
I don't know, maybe it's just my OCD talking or maybe I have a high-tech anthropomorphistic love affair with my cameras but I couldn't buy a refurb'ed camera. I like that "new car smell" and being the first person to register the first actuation. Lenses, for some reason, I'm fine with being new, but the camera itself seems to be heart and soul of the operation. Yes, you can save a couple bucks but when you're spending such large sums of money on something, I keep hearing that old adage "In for a penny, in for a pound"...

STM

I don't know, maybe it's just my OCD talking or maybe I have a high-tech anthropomorphistic love affair with my cameras but I couldn't buy a refurb'ed camera. I like that "new car smell" and being the first person to register the first actuation. Lenses, for some reason, I'm fine with being new, but the camera itself seems to be heart and soul of the operation. Yes, you can save a couple bucks but when you're spending such large sums of money on something, I keep hearing that old adage "In for a penny, in for a pound"...

For some things that is certainly true, but for very expensive cameras, which have been refurbished BY NIKON, saving several hundred bucks is nothing to sneeze at. And their name is on the line if they are doing the refurbishing. Good news reaches three people, bad news, NINE. Now I WOULD be wary of those cameras refurbished by Adorama, which curiously were more expensive that the ones refurbished by Nikon, because you are potentially getting an unknown and what Adorama considers to be refurbished may not necessarily be the same as what Nikon considers refurbished.

Just my zwei Pfennigen!

Last edited:

fotojack

Refurbished technically means to be restored/returned to a factory specifications. Generally, this means the refurbishing is done by the item's manufacturer and/or their subsidiaries. Some stores use the "refurbished" tag as a sales pitch, counting on the buyers ignorance of the facts.
If bought from a factory or manufacturers outlet, I would certainly not hesitate to buy refurbished (depending on price).