Battery grip

kleakak

. Hey everyone, I am using a d7000 , I was curious if anyone is using a battery grip? I recently purchased this model after years of Waiting to upgrade to digital, now it is time to start filling my bag with goodies, if you have any recommendations ' even with filter flashes it would be much appreciated.
ken

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Unless you really need faster FPS (frame per second) for sports or do a lot of vertical (portrait orientation) shooting, the grip doesn't do much. The D7000's battery is so good that I never was caught with an empty one. It can last for thousands of shots.

You seem to want to spend money… Let me see… Lenses, that's it this is where you should start saving and buying. Get the best lenses you can afford and accessories that you really need only.

Let's see how far you're going to go. :)

emoxley

I have a grip and love it. The main reason I got it was to make the camera fit in my big hands better. A lot of people like smaller cameras. That's why most DSLRs are so small now. I'm not one of them. If you like the camera to feel more substantial in your hands, the grip will do it. I also recommend getting the Nikon grip, instead of third party grip.

fotojack

A grip can add a certain balance to the camera, giving it a particular heft. I personally like grips for the extra battery capacity it gives me, plus it gives me more area for my hands to grip.

Sorry Marcel the D7000 battery grip does not increase frame rate ...as you know I shoot hundreds of photos in a day and never got the battery down below about 75% and of course the other is still 100% . I run the one in the grip down first so it would switch to the internal battery and I can change the one in the grip if neccessary...Never had any success with the nicad pack I think they go the cut off voltage too high

stmv

I am in the non battery camp, I had them for my film (then it was handy for that auto advance, and the cool sound of the motor advance (bet lots remember that sound), but, with digital the need for auto advance is gone.

My grips have rarely been used, and collect dust, I prefer the smaller cameras, and find the extra bulk of the battery holder not and advantage.

It does give the veritical control shift, but I am so used to keeping my hands on the controls, that It is totally automatic whether I shoot horizantal or vertical, adding a battery grip, would just make me have to retrain.

if you do buy one, first go for the el-cheapo aftermarket ones,, see if you like them, before considerng buyng the way more expensive Nikon models (and yes, the Nikon models are higher quality (can tell in the control dials).

True STMV while I have the vertical grip I never move my hand from the main camera grip or use the release on it in fact the two dials on the body are taped over so they cannot get knocked and the lock around the release on the grip is also locked meaning the dials on the grip do not function ( unles I want them to )

The grip only lets me carry a spare battery and look more professional in the eyes of joe public

stmv

I spend most of my time shooting on my own, or teaching some classes, and only do portraits when asked, and refuse weddings unless as a supplemental (my hat off to wedding photographers). so,, image matters not for me.

I always get more than a day on a battery, so,, today's cameras just do so well, as long as you have a disclipline to check battery level before going out on a shoot.

I always buy an extra battery, so there is always a fully charged battery ready before going out.

Last edited:

kleakak

Sorry for the delay.

well I don't know what person doesn't want toys to add to his bag:) I eventually want to get. Better 200 1.7 lens but the wallet can't afford it yet. I have to get out and shoot more before going nuts.

Filters are something I have never really used with the exception of a polarized, star and uv. What are advantages of different filters

kleakak

I do shoot a lot of vertical shots that was the main reason for lookinginto a grip. I think another more important item o get would be the flash, j have an old Nikkon flash that I used on my old 6006, but old vs new tech is not compatible.

Dooku77

I have the Nikon grip and it is spectacular. It's made of magnesium as well and you can switch between grip and camera battery.