Hello from Essex, UK and please help.

Tailsjam

Greetings everyone. I am a total newb when it comes to cameras and photography. Yesterday my girlfriend presented me with a D3100 for my 33rd birthday. My father has kindly said he'll buy me a few bits for my new camera. So far on my list I have a nice bag, a fast SD card and a few basic filters. Himself has a D60 and suggested I might like a more powerful zoom lense as I currently have the 18-55 that came with the body. He asked me to check which lenses are compatible with the 3100 as he wasn't sure. I've done some research and it's all a bit confusing to me. So I was wondering if some of you might be able to point me in the right direction. My dad suggested something along the lines of a 55 - 200. Many thanks in advance for help.

RockyNH_RIP

Welcome!! Hope that you enjoy your time here... I have the 5100 with both the 18-55 and the 55-200. It is a very good lens for the price. My only caveat would be what do you plan to photograph?? If it is wildlife, you may want a bit more reach ... I have taken a lot of decent shots with those 2 lens..

Pat in NH

pedroj

Welcome...Your camera doesn't have an auto focus motor in it...The lens you purchase needs an AF motor, AF-S is what you need on your lens..