Noise

WhiteLight

After having used the d5100 for a year almost and then picking up the d7000 as well, I have noticed some difference in the images produced.
If both these cameras have the same sensors, shouldn't the noise produced in both be identical under exactly the same shooting conditions?
The noise me thinks is higher in the d5100 and also the quality of the image produced, especially when fully cropped is much better in the 7000.
Are there any factors other than the the sensor that influences the noise and IQ?

Rick M

As Moab suggested, different lenses? Also I believe they have different auto focusing systems. You might try using the same lens and manual focusing both to compare.

AC016

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, i would beg to differ. How are you coming up with your results? I am having a hard time thinking that you can see a difference between two photos that were taken with the same lens and exact same settings and in the exact same conditions. Both cameras share the same sensor, so unless you are reallllllly pixel peeping - which is a real waste of time anyhow -, i am left in doubt.

WhiteLight

Well as I mentioned exactly similar conditions I meant the same lens too :)

I have been taking moon shots mounted on the tripod with both the 7000 and 5100 using the 70 - 300... all other settings are maintained exactly the same on both bodies.
The noise in the images from the 5100 are definitely more...

So the general idea is that the noise levels should be exactly the same on both bodies since they use the same sensor? Nothing else would even effect the image quality?

Thanks for your thoughts

Sent from my Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Well as I mentioned exactly similar conditions I meant the same lens too :)

I have been taking moon shots mounted on the tripod with both the 7000 and 5100 using the 70 - 300... all other settings are maintained exactly the same on both bodies.
The noise in the images from the 5100 are definitely more...

So the general idea is that the noise levels should be exactly the same on both bodies since they use the same sensor? Nothing else would even effect the image quality?

Thanks for your thoughts

Sent from my Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Samples please

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Are you talking about Raw files from both? If not, there could be your explanation. You very well could have different camera settings to convert the Raws to jpegs in one or the other camera (sharpness, saturation, contrast) Vivid, standard, etc. Only with raw files and the same lens could you compare the noise from one sensor and the other one. Most of the time, from what I have noticed, the noise only appears in jpegs. In raw, even at 3200 or more, you get grain, but not splatches of noise. Just try to shoot raw and jpeg at very high iso and treat both files and you'll see what I mean.

WhiteLight

Are you talking about Raw files from both? If not, there could be your explanation. You very well could have different camera settings to convert the Raws to jpegs in one or the other camera (sharpness, saturation, contrast) Vivid, standard, etc. Only with raw files and the same lens could you compare the noise from one sensor and the other one. Most of the time, from what I have noticed, the noise only appears in jpegs. In raw, even at 3200 or more, you get grain, but not splatches of noise. Just try to shoot raw and jpeg at very high iso and treat both files and you'll see what I mean.

Only RAW Marcel :)
I SHOOT RAW! (Think big AFRO)

Last edited:

WhiteLight

With the D5100, noise reduction on this was around half way on the Luminance slider in LR

19147d1350697922t-whitelights-photos-thread-20121003-dsc_2411-2.jpg

This is from the D7000, straight off the cam, no PP except crop

26064d1359609609-whitelights-2013-photo-thread-20130129-dsc_6269-2.jpg

Am i 'pixel peeping' here?? :p

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Then maybe it's the in camera processing that makes the D7000 better. Do these two have the same processor?

I'm actually clueless as far as why they would be so different if they share the same sensor. There must be something different in there somewhere.

Rick M

I think you would need to do a test at the same time, subject, settings, ect and just switch the lens real quick. From there post 2 100% crops of identical spots on the image.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes.. thought as much that better shots will be needed..
I will try & shoot a few

And moon shots are really tricky too. Depending on the quality of the air at the time, it can look very different.

Use a landscape or building with a tripod, raise the mirror up, and then crank up the iso and compare for real.

cbg

With the D5100, noise reduction on this was around half way on the Luminance slider in LR

View attachment 26588

This is from the D7000, straight off the cam, no PP except crop

View attachment 26590

Am i 'pixel peeping' here?? :p
Since these were obviously taken on different days and times, there is no way to tell what if any differences there are between the two cameras. Please post examples of the same subject taken on the same day, time, distance, exposure, f-stop, etc. Then maybe we can answer your question.