Hello from the UK

CatcwlD5100

Hello everyone,

I have been interested in photography in a long time and now finally I am able to afford my first DSLR! :excitement: which will be a D5100 with kit lens. I am so pleased that I have come across this Nikon related forum as others I really did not enjoy so much. I have been lurking around this site for a while and thought I would "come out of hiding" so to speak :p I look forward to learning a lot of useful information from this site :D

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to Nikonites, read all you can, specially your user's manual, but more importantly, take pictures with the camera until you know what does what. Remember that digital film is free for you to experiment with. Don't expect masterpieces on your first 10 pictures, but I can promise you that your images will improve with numbers.

Get a good book about photography, wether film or digital as the basics are the same. The camera is just a tool to capture light reflected from people or objects. The secret of better photos has always been about understanding light and being there for the decisive moment.

Feel free to post your pictures to your gallery and ask questions when you feel like it.

Enjoy your Nikon!

§am

Welcome, enjoy your new camera.

Don't read the user manual for the D5100.... read the reference manual instead -it's a lot more informative ;)

RockyNH_RIP

Welcome!! You have come to the right place and I hope that you enjoy it! There are a few of us here with the same camera as you... Enjoy!

Pat in NH

CatcwlD5100

Thank you all very much for that information, I have bought quiet a few magazines the past couple of months I have the Nikon DSLR Handbook which has been a great help and I get the NPhoto magazine I really like both of these I do buy random other area specific magazines. I recently purchased the Nikon D5100 extended guide which has been a good purchase for a noob like myself ;) I am forever watching Youtube videos about lens reviews and such. I have done some photos with friends cameras so I kind of get the hang of it but it is hard without my actual hardware but shouldn't be too long :D In the meantime I am soaking as much info as I can without overwhelming myself, I am struggling a bit with all the aperture ISO etc etc part but that will come in time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I can't get enough of Macro photography :p it just fascinates me.