To sell the 16-85 or not...?

eurotrash

That is the question..
Basically, I can't get over the constant slow aperture of the glass. I love the lens, dont get me wrong, but find myself limited when I want to blow out the background in a bad way.

I think I'll really miss the 16-24mm range and at the moment, only have money to plunk down on one lens. The 85mm 1.8g is attractive to me for a few reasons. One, probably because I'm looking toward the FF solution in the future and want to have my bases covered as far as normal lenses go. And two, the faster glass.

Sigh..What do you think? Should I sell the 16-85 in favor of the 85 1.8g?

EDIT: Also interesting of note is that recently I haven't really been using the lens all that much. It's just been sitting in the wings. I already have a 35 1.8, a 40 2.8 and a 50 1.4, so the range seems a little bit redundant.

Rick M

If you feel you may go Fx someday I would sell it. It was my favorite Dx lens, but you will find the 85 1.8g is a fantastic lens also!

eurotrash

The next question I guess would be how much would I get out of it/is it worth trying to sell or just give it up to the local camera shop? EDIT: Not for free, obviously, towards the purchase of a new lens, lol..

eurotrash

I was offered 310 for the lens at the local shop. I paid 670 for it in August. I passed for now.. Guess I try Craigslist now and wait a month :p I'm not in a rush anyway.

Last edited:

eurotrash

Now, I'm considering selling my 16-85, 35 1.8, 40 2.8 and going with a 17-35 2.8...or something comparable.

Last edited:

stmv

on ebay the they close at around 380-425 dollar range. So, you could clear about another 70 dollars selling on your own.

Eye-level

Banned
Sell!

To me a 35, 50, and 85 on a DX camera would be all anyone ever needed. For FX you just add a 105. MMV

Zooms are just to complicated...lol :)

eurotrash

Yea, I just don't like zooms much I guess.
I just don't want to crave more at the wide end (which inevitably will happen) and then end up having like, 6 primes to cover what 3 lenses could theoretically. Sure, I'd get amazing IQ, but.. I'd be stuck with all these lenses and spend a lot of cash doing so..

Last edited:

eurotrash

I just did a comparison test today on the clarity, sharpness and overall IQ of the 16-85vr at 35mm and 50mm to my 35mm 1.8g and 50mm 1.4. The results are as expected, the primes performed very well, displaying very good contrasty pictures with extremely detailed results at 100% crops. The 16-85 actually didn't do badly and the differences were very slight! I'm honestly pretty impressed with the lens and hate to see it go (if only for the wide end), but I have to be realistic and honest and admit that I paid a high premium for a focal length that's extremely limited and the convenience of having only one lens.

stmv

mm,, I am thinking that you paid premium price, and loosing a lot with the used price, and well, there are times that zooms are just the right lens. when it is hard to move with your feet, or the swapping of a lens makes you loose a key shot, and well a loss shot is a loss shot.

So, since photography is a long term habit, save over time, and get the 85 when ready, and keep the little zoom too.

eurotrash

I mean, I could just buy the 85 outright. Without being a d**k about it, I'll say that money isn't an issue for me. I am a little bit of a cheapskate, but I do have the resources to splurge on nice things.

The main issues were having a nice piece of glass sitting there and collecting dust with no real future plans to utilize it. I'd rather put it in the hands of someone who will use it and take that money to put towards something I can use more readily. You know, be cost effective about it. Also that pesky full frame thing in the near future has that lens on it's death bed for me anyway. I listed both for $800, $575 for the 16-85, $250 for the 40. Guess we'll see what kind of offers I get if any. I'm not in a rush to sell anyway, so pricing high on CL just weeds out the less interested people.

Eye-level

Banned
Yea, I just don't like zooms much I guess.
I just don't want to crave more at the wide end (which inevitably will happen) and then end up having like, 6 primes to cover what 3 lenses could theoretically. Sure, I'd get amazing IQ, but.. I'd be stuck with all these lenses and spend a lot of cash doing so..

Well I have been juggling my kit in my head along those same lines. I am set on the 105...I am likely to buy a 85 here real real soon. And I have been looking at the 24/2.8 a lot here lately forsaking the 28/2.8 because I think the 24 would better suit my style. I think 3 lenses is about the limit for me. Definitely primes...that is just me though.

Rick M

I have a similar outlook, I don't like having stuff around I'm not going to use or that overlap. I like to keep it simple, I'll never have 10 lenses even though I could afford them. Some people I know have tons of lesser lenses they never use and hold onto them, doesn't make sense to me.

Eye-level

Banned
One thing I would like to add to my kit someday is a 300...I would use that lens for deer, horses, and other critters here on the farm...like water moccasins for example! :)

eurotrash

All very very excellent points. I agree with everyone saying they like keeping it simple. Zooms to me, add way too much into the fray and actually make me a lazier photog. I like being challenged and I like thinking about a shot a little longer than joe shmoe tourist, who might zoom with his lens instead of his brain.

I do want to shoot for 5 total lenses. A very wide possibly 24, 35, 50, 85, and probably a lesser used 135, 200 or something along those lines. I'd only TAKE with me probably 2-3 at any given time given the situation :) If I sell the lens for close to what I ask, and get my tax money back soon, it'll at least feel like a free lens or two :p