Low-Key (Black Background) pictures settings with Nikon D800?

Raheel

Hello,

First of all Sorry if I am posting in wrong section. I am a newbie to these forums and to Pro level camera.

Recently I bought a Nikon D800, SB-900, 50mm 1.8G, 24-70mm, 35mm 1.8 and Nikon remote cable release.

What I am trying to achieve is Low-Key (Black Background) pictures using above mentioned setup but I am unable to get required result. (e.g 2nd pic here http://nikonites.com/portrait/9442-visited-studio-today.html)

Previously I had P510 and I used its pre-defined option to take low-key images. So can anyone please tell me settings for Nikon D800 which can take those type of images using my system.

Thank You.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Welcome to the forum. Check out YouTube and search for Gary fong power snoot to modify the speed light and archive something similar to what you are looking for.

Raheel

Thank You. I'll search for it and will check but the problem I am facing as I an a newbie I am not too familiar with Canon/Nikon menu's, most of the videos online are Canon based.. :(But I will try again and will let you guys now.Thanks

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Thank You. I'll search for it and will check but the problem I am facing as I an a newbie I am not too familiar with Canon/Nikon menu's, most of the videos online are Canon based.. :(But I will try again and will let you guys now.Thanks

Try this link

Puzz1e

Banned
This is a pretty broad question. Some questions I need to ask before helping:
1) How familiar are you with lighting?
2) Are you using lights in manual mode?
3) Are you using a black background or relying on this correction via your ambient light settings?
4) Are you using the flash off camera? (I hope so!)

John!

I don't have the D800, but I doubt you'll find a preset that automatically does that. with pro equipment you'll need to configure camera, flash, etc to do exactly what you want.

DTigga

This is from an earlier post i replied to, asking the same question:

I did a low-key photo shoot for our Movember campaign at work. The shots were the first I posted here:

http://nikonites.com/project-365-daily-photos/9728-dts-365-daily-pics.html

The best results were when I used a semi-dark room with minimal ambient light. You want to give your subject some distance from a background in order to black out the background.

I used a remote speedlight with a D800. Experiment with the power, angle and height of the flash until you get the desired result.