Image Quality

photoholic

Greetings everyone,

I have a question about image quality… I recently graduated from a D7000 to the D800… I am still in the process of learning the camera. I have the camera set to RAW… however my images often appear grainy when enlarged. I actually get better quality with the D7000, and my D80.

Most of my images are taken with the Nikon 70-200 f2.8, I shoot macro with a Sigma 180mm… same results.

I have seen the beautiful photos taken with the D800. I'm sure that it is matter of settings, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what might be my problem.

Any advice is welcome… thanks

stmv

mmmm, are you sure you don't have auto ISO on? sure sounds like it is taking in high ISO settting..

shoot tripod, ISO 200, F8, using the 70-2.8,, and it should not be grainy at all (say in daylight, with speed around 1/500th a second),,, if still grainy,,, I would wonder if your camera as issues.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
36 mp will amplify any noise or out of focus when viewed at 100% view. It won't be as visible once the image is downsized. Stay below iso 400 if you intend to crop a lot and use a noise reduction software as needed.

photoholic

Ahhhhh… thanks, I did have to auto ISO on… I had it maxed out at 6400… which is was giving me in a lot of shot… BIG Difference

Thanks again