camera clubs

piliff

hi all, being a newbie here and to dslr cameras i was thinking of joining a local camera club, does anyone have any experience or thoughts on wether it would be useful to join, as i know very little of how to use mine i need all the help i can find to learn how to use it to effect.

piliff

ah i see you too have the d3100, how long have you had it and what are your thoughts on it, and how did you find the 200mm lens compared to the kit lens supplied with it.
regards
phil

pedroj

I've not been to club but have spoke to friends that are...Can be very helpful with the added benefit of meeting new people...

Andrew Cresswell

I have my camera a couple of months now ,and contacted my nearest club who told me to pop along to the next meet,i really enjoyed it as the had a studio evening,and the next week we had a Night photography session around the local town,all very nice people, a lot of them are now coming into the digital world after years using film,so lots of the latest gear around as well as plenty of advice,go for it you have nothing to lose.
Andy

stmv

I have been co-hosting not really a club,, more a photo meetings, where myself and the cohost,, pick a theme,, and every 3 months or so,, hold a session. People pre-register, and included is usually
a meal.

Create a short lecture on the theme, show examples,, and then right out to try the subject out. We come in, eat/discuss any issues, and then back out for a couple more hours of shooting.

then, about 3 weeks later, we get back together, and take a look at the results, and discuss some points..

People lead busy lives, so trying to organize to a monthly meeting is too much in my case, but sure look forward to the quarterly sessions.

The feedback I get, is that people enjoy the social interaction,, and having a common subject to photograph and then compare the results. It is amazing how much variation can exists within the goup.

Last edited:
ah i see you too have the d3100, how long have you had it and what are your thoughts on it, and how did you find the 200mm lens compared to the kit lens supplied with it.
regards
phil

I have had it for a year or so. I really like it but it took a while (and reading the manual) to get the results that I am getting now.
The 55 - 200mm quality wise in no different, just longer. My favorite is the AF-S DX Micro 40mm f / 2.8g. I can really tell the difference in quality with it. I really wish I had not bought the AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF DX VR and saved my money for a good quality 18 - 200 and had a single walk around lens.

STM

Clubs offer several benefits. One of course is fellowship with people who share a common interest. Another is an opportunity to talk with other photographers and learn thins from them as well as pass on your experiences as well. I honestly cannot see a downside to belonging to a photography club.