Another new guy coming up

martyd211

I am a newbie to the site and a new owner of a D7000. With it I have a Sigma DC 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 HMS lens, ring flash and a bunch of filters. I am mostly interested in macro floral photography for my own enjoyment, but this not the sole purpose. Is there a significantly better lens for this purpose and why?

pedroj

Hi Marty and welcome...

There is always a better lens...This would be a good choice, Allows you to get as close as 6 inches..

AF-S Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G

[h=1][/h]

depends how big the flowers are and how far away they are .......
Your lens may do the job you want perfectly or we might be talking Bellows and a reversed 50mm lens .....

§am

Alan, the specs on the 60mm state closest focusing distance would be 7.2", but the 40mm f/2.8G DX is at 6.4" (and at half the cost)

I think before you buy any macro lens you need to give consideration to the focal length of the lens ....this relates to the size of the object to be photographed and ange of view ...I dont think many would go below 50mm though you do have the 1.5 crop factor to consider ..You will find focal length ,field of view and extensions listed on the web. Again it comes down to the size and size range of what you want to photograph ..

If you look here I think it answers most questions .....http://www.phototechnique.com/macro/top-12-macro-photography-tips/

Last edited: