Focus stacking - a poor man's tilt-shift lens.

Dave_W

The Dude
I've been lusting after a tilt-shift lens for awhile now and at the rate things are moving around here, it's not something that's going to happen any time soon. So I decided I'd finally get around to playing with focus stacking. Frankly, I'm a little embarrassed to say that today was my first attempt at focus stacking, especially given how painfully easy the technique is (hmmmm, maybe time for another "how-to" blog entry?).

In landscape photography there are precious few techniques outside of a tilt-shift lens to give you complete depth of field You can stop down to the smallest aperture but then you run into the very real risk of diffraction. Not so good if your intent was to produce a sharp image at all points. The other technique is to find the hyperfocal point. Although it's a time tested way to get maximum DoF, it requires a little more than a casual effort. You can do a pretty good job guestimating that point but to get it just right, you really need to measure and then do a little mathematical work on the side. Not something I'm looking to do when out photographing.

So that leaves focus stacking. It requires no math, no measurements, just a modicum of photoshop knowledge and a sturdy tripod. Using my trusty 105mm macro (VR and AF switched off) and shot 8 images that I stacked and combined into one to give me this nearly perfectly focused image below and it didn't cost me $1600 for a new TS-lens.

layerstacking-1.jpg

mr2_serious

Wow, amazing picture. I will definitely look up this technique. We played with a tilt shift in class last week

- william - via tapatalk

Rick M

That's amazing Dave, What aperture were they shot at? I've been wondering about tilt-shift lenses and how much deeper the DoF actually is.

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
I used what is probably the worst aperture, I used 3.0 instead of something bigger like 8 or 9. As for TS lenses, they're awesome and I would love to own one. But now that I've seen how painlessly easy stacking is, I may not need one after all.

It really is amazing all the things photoshop can do. Aligning all your images and then pulling out only the parts of the image that is in the best focus and combining it is mindblowing. What an amazing program PS is.

DTigga

I for one would love to see a 'how to' blog on this technique. Does it lend itself to any other photography other than macro?

Dave_W

The Dude
I for one would love to see a 'how to' blog on this technique. Does it lend itself to any other photography other than macro?

Very much so. In fact, I think it's primarily used for big vistas where you want the rocks near your feet to be as in focus as the mountain in the background. And I think I will write up what I did in blog form so you can see how terribly easy it is.

AxeMan - Rick S.

I have used this software, does everything it says it does but I never took it any farther than the trial period.

Load your file into it and it does the rest for you.

Don't know the steps to do it in Photoshop but I'm sure it's much easier, and maybe not.

Downfall is the price $30 for one year, $115 lifetime (and that is for the lite version)

Just thought I throw this out there.

Helicon Focus - extended depth of field, focus stacking, 3D visualization

Dave_W

The Dude
Axe-man, take a look at the blog I just posted. All you need is a copy of Photoshop and you're good to go. But I am curious if this software does a better job than Photoshop.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Dave I don't know how good of job it does compared Photoshop I'm past the trial period and deleted it a long time ago.

I did take a peek at You tube and saw how it's done in CS6 looks easy, now off to read your blog.

Maybe posting the software link was mood point, but if anyone is interested in it they know where they can find it.

Thanks ahead of time for sharing

BackdoorArts

Nice, Dave - thanks. Focus bracketing & stacking isn't something I've ever even thought of figuring depth of field (or tilt-shift) was my only option. I've messed with Elements for years but just finally got Photoshop and need to find the time to play with it. Personally I can see the use for me more in the large vista landscape stuff you mention as I'm having a hard time wondering why I wouldn't have just tightened up the aperture on your original shot to give me more DoF. But then I do understand the desire for the bokeh everywhere else that you might not have gotten with just the aperture adjustment. Need to play with it, but thanks for the new tool in the kit.