Decided against an SB-700

simonhodge

After shooting my first wedding a few years ago I have since been getting more and more into using speedlights after I really struggled with poor light at the wedding. I bought a few yongnuo speedlights (460 and 467). I then moved to Nikon and realised the limitations of those speedlights so went all out and bought an SB-910. Think I spoilt myself though :) What a magic piece of kit. Over the past 6 months I have started using Nikon CLS and loving it more and more. I decided to sell the two yongnuo units and buy more Nikon units. I bought used SB-800 but hated it when used to the SB-910 menu system etc. As it happens the unit was faulty and I got a refund. I then thought about getting a few used SB-700s but at £210 new and around £170 used I ended up buying a used SB-900 for £220. I just didnt think it was worth saving a few quid for the SB-700 over an SB-900. Ovbiously at £200+ I cant afford too many SB-900s so I have also ordered a Yongnuo 560ex as it is supposed to work with Nikon CLS. Once it arrives I will do a review on my blog. Cost £65 so if it works with CLS happy days.

The 560 does not do CLS but the 560EX does The YN 565 EX is a better choice ...great gun but while it works as an iTTL flash on your camera you cannot use it as the commander ...works as a remote in command mode fine ( will even work with a Cannon !!)..otherewise fantastic ..I have the 8 cell SF 18 to go with it ..only about £25

Last edited:

simonhodge

I dont agree. The YN-560 and YN-560ii dont work on CLS but the YN-560ex does from what I read on the Yongnuo page. Guess I'll know in a few days lol. I will probably also get a YN568 as this has pretty much the same spec as my SB-910 but for considerably less money.

You are quite right I missed the small "ex" in the YN 560 EX ..Many apologies for giveing you a heart attack. I have modified my post so that there is no confusion.

simonhodge

Why not add monolights for more light

I guess by using speedlights i am keeping it compact and I am using nikon CLS which I would imagine would not work with monolights.

As for the YN-560EX. So far I have had no issues with it at all. It works perfectly with CLS and syncs up to 1/320th.

_SJH8238-2.jpg

This is my first time trying out the YN-560EX along with my SB-910 and SB-900. The blue gel is on the YN with red gel on the SB-900 and a snoot on the un-gelled SB-910.