The end is near for the D7000

BackdoorArts

It's been coming for a while, so I'm not surprised to finally see it. It'll be interesting to see what they've got replacing it, and at what price point.

stmv

Yes,, extremely Low stock left,, everywhere, so,, won't be long.. The camera model was very short lived, I got it just over a year ago,,, and it was very fresh then.

I assume that the 7200 is coming out soon, but Nikon really seems to be keeping a lid on it. I consider it the almost perfect dollar per value camera. Nikon gave amazing quality, features all for the best bang for the buck price.

I mean you can still find these at 896 dollars! and comparing the build quality of this compared to the 5200,, huge difference.

Essentially, you have to move up to the 600 for same build/feature set..

So.. I assume a7200 is right around the corner,, with the same sensor as the 5200, at a price point of 1200 dollars to be consistant to their line up.

I'll be picking up a used 7000 for my wife some time, I consider it the almost perfect camera for the enthuist.

FLIGHTO

This figures.... I just got mine....

Although as for features, besides video, I cant see this body being obsolete for a while.... The D90 is still widely used and the D7000 is miles ahead of that...

Be that as it may......A year from now we will all have a D7200

Last edited:

Rick M

An exciting time for Dx shooters looking to upgrade! Both for those that wanted to move up to a D7000 and for those waiting for the next great Dx!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes,, extremely Low stock left,, everywhere, so,, won't be long.. The camera model was very short lived, I got it just over a year ago,,, and it was very fresh then.

I assume that the 7200 is coming out soon, but Nikon really seems to be keeping a lid on it. I consider it the almost perfect dollar per value camera. Nikon gave amazing quality, features all for the best bang for the buck price.

I mean you can still find these at 896 dollars! and comparing the build quality of this compared to the 5200,, huge difference.

Essentially, you have to move up to the 600 for same build/feature set..

So.. I assume a7200 is right around the corner,, with the same sensor as the 5200, at a price point of 1200 dollars to be consistant to their line up.

I'll be picking up a used 7000 for my wife some time, I consider it the almost perfect camera for the enthuist.

With Nikon's secret development team, I'm not going to assume anything. One day, they'll announce some new camera that will be the magic camera that will solve all our shooting problems. It might not even need light to capture an image…:)

We should see soon enough, but if I was looking to buy a camera, I sure wouldn't hold my breath until the new one comes out.

Allen

Given the real or imagined issues with the D7000 after it went on the shelves, I for one would be waiting a while before I would consider its replacement....which brings to mind, what would I really want in a replacement that the D7k doesn't already have......

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Given the real or imagined issues with the D7000 after it went on the shelves, I for one would be waiting a while before I would consider its replacement....which brings to mind, what would I really want in a replacement that the D7k doesn't already have......

From the rumors, it will have more pixels since they seem to sell well. This is the link I saw.

stmv

if you already have a D7000, don't see the drive to upgrade to a 7200 with the 24 Meg pixel.. however, say you are a 5100 user, and looking to upgrade for the access to wider variety of lens choice,, and better build quality,, then 7200 would be a great choice..

upgrade path
3100/5100 -> 7200
D90 -> 7200
maybe
D300 -> 7200 (just for the pixel count,, and it would be so so so awesome,, PLEASE NIKON... increase the bracket count to at least 7,, or just match D300

and of course.. any older generation
D40,50,70,80,200 -> D7200

eurotrash

I suppose it is possible that they might not release a replacement, and consider the d600 the step up from the d5200 or whatever the next rung below the 7000 is.. We just don't know yet. I could see that happening as to make the product lineup slimmer and weed our the serious shooters from the casual. Thoughts welcomed..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

BackdoorArts

if you already have a D7000, don't see the drive to upgrade to a 7200 with the 24 Meg pixel.. however, say you are a 5100 user, and looking to upgrade for the access to wider variety of lens choice,, and better build quality,, then 7200 would be a great choice.

That's sort of the way I see it. If I was currently shooting with a 12MP DX then I'd be jonesing over this one. Knowing nothing else, you're essentially getting a little better resolution than the D800 shooting in DX 1.5 mode. The 50% bump over the D7000 isn't worth the grab for me, even though "more pixels per bird" is always a good thing shooting wildlife - not a big deal otherwise unless you're looking to make huge enlargements, and even then I never had issues with 16MP. Given that they didn't bother to bump the bracket count on the D600 I don't expect them to do it here, but what do I know? I just hope they increase the buffer size so it doesn't choke after 8 images.

Camera technology is quickly paralleling that of the personal computer, with every year bringing "more, faster, better", but there's something to be said about the one that works now. If I was looking to upgrade or buy then the feature set could have me jumping on early. But given that just about every new model recently has had its share of issues, intermittent, rumored or otherwise, I would likely bide my time if I had something I was happy with. I've lived on enough bleeding edges with other products that I'd want it to shake out first.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Is it me or does anyone else look at this the way I do? Simply, if they do not replace the D7000 don't you think there is too much of a gap between the D5200 and the D600?

One would think there has to be something between the two. Is the D5200 that close to the D7000 not to have something between?

I been follow any upgrade to the D7000 or the D300 for quite some time now. I have a D90 and I'm looking to upgrade. Would love to jump on the D600 band wagon, but I have two lens both 2.8 for the D90 I'm sure I could not use on the D600, so it looks like I'm staying in DX.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Is it me or does anyone else look at this the way I do? Simply, if they do not replace the D7000 don't you think there is too much of a gap between the D5200 and the D600?

One would think there has to be something between the two. Is the D5200 that close to the D7000 not to have something between?

I been follow any upgrade to the D7000 or the D300 for quite some time now. I have a D90 and I'm looking to upgrade. Would love to jump on the D600 band wagon, but I have two lens both 2.8 for the D90 I'm sure I could not use on the D600, so it looks like I'm staying in DX.

Didn't you get Sigmas 24-70 and 70-200 Rick? Hope I'm not wrong but these are FX lenses to my knowledge.