D7000 Color/White Balance vs D40

DanLegere

Got this camera a week ago, I've noticed the d7000 seems to produce more cyan/green/yellow tint photos, while the d40 produces more brown/magenta tint. All the same settings/lens/exposure/etc. Don't matter if I view in NX2, lightroom (unaffected by picture controls), JPG, RAW. Even syncing the white balance in lightroom doesn't make them the same color. Tweaking the WB magetna on d7000 helps a bit to remove the green, but then whites become a bit pink. My monitor is calibrated with spyder and I see it on the camera LCDs to.

The d7000 seems more accurate, but I don't like the slight green/yellow tint I'm getting in alot of photos. Why isnt the WB the same between them? Anyone else notice this with your camera colors being different from other cameras even with every setting/exposure/wb the same? Should the d7000 look like this?

D40 Incandescent light/WB: Gray backdrop is magenta.
1301180235e.jpg

D7000 Incadescent light/WB: Gray backdrop closer to neutral but slightly.
13011802332e.jpg

D40, Daylight light/WB: Trees brownish, darker sky.
13011716064.jpg

D7000, Daylight light/WB: Trees green, snow yellow, more cyan in the sky.
13011716062.jpg

AC016

You are comparing apples to oranges. The D7K has a CMOS sensor and the D40 has a CCD sensor and they are years and Megapixels apart from each other. Nothing strange about the results. Not sure why you would be surprised that they produce somewhat different images.

Dave_W

The Dude
Color management is a science until itself, and not a very fun one either. To being with, any color differences/issue you are seeing can easily be your computer monitor walking you down the prime-rose path. Have you thoroughly calibrated your monitor to insure that these issues are really a function of your camera vs. monitor? Tackling color management will open up a huge can of worms, questions whether it's a true color difference or simply a saturation/vibrance issue, and of course if you've not professionally calibrated your monitor you really cannot make any solid conclusions. And if you think this is a pain in the buttocks, just wait until you start getting serious about printing your images. That's when all your previous assumptions get thrown out the window and you have to start all over again developing a synchronicity between your monitor and your printer preferences.

DanLegere

You are comparing apples to oranges. The D7K has a CMOS sensor and the D40 has a CCD sensor and they are years and Megapixels apart from each other.

This could be the case, I contacted nikon about it with RAW files, we'll see what they say. But I have heard of several people online noticing a green tint on their d7000 photos.

You understand that you can create your own default color balance for both those cameras using the same calibration for both, right?

Could you elaborate on the method? I understand you can use the PRE WB, and also tweak the green/magenta blue/amber. Are you refering to something else?

Color management is a science until itself, and not a very fun one either

Oh I know and learned the hard way. Did photography for years before learning about color management. Then got a new monitor and was really confused why the different colors. After calibrating with a spyder, all my photos whernt how I edited them to be. lol

hogan(or was it Rockwell) would say they have made it a bit green so they can say in 2014 that they have a new colour balance programme .....!!! ???