Video (UGH! thats a bad word)

co2jae

I know, I know......video is not what this camera is really for. That being said, my daughter is a young and upcoming snowboarder who has been asked by her snowboard sponser to supply some video of her riding. I only have the 18-105 dx kit lens to shoot with. I will be standing outside shooting a moving target, hopefully I get a good spot by a jump where she will pass by approx 20 feet in the air and hopefully not more than 50 feet away. Later I will be able to get about 20 feet away or closer for an eye level shot of her riding rails. Any suggestions would be helpful. I have read the manual a lot and have shot thousands of photos since this summer (some of which were actually decent!) so I should be able to understand technical terms of your advice as they relate to camera functions. Thanks in advance Nikoniters!!!

AC016

I have not really dove into the video features on my 5100, but here are a few things: you can only shoot 20mins, then you have to stop and start again. Shoot 24fps, that is FULL HD. If this is your first time, i might suggest doing some experiments. Just take random video inside your house, see how it turns out, get comfortable with it. Perhaps it may be best to stick it in Auto for the first time? Also, you will hear the focus motor noise from your lens on the actual video, maybe try manual focus? Other than that, i can only tell you to search this site or perhaps look at this: D7000 Video Settings And Discussion « Nikon Rumors Forum

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Depending on the lighting condition, you might need a CPL filter. You can shoot in S mode set it between 1/60 - 1/100. I don't think tripod will help out since you will be working on a stiff or inclined position. Do a rehearsal with your daughter and do the practice shoot to get an idea on where you need to position yourself. I don't have my camera to use as a reference but I think a 24 or 30 fps, 1080p will work out.

co2jae

Thanks to all....I only have a mono pod because I move a lot and stop quickly to shoot so the tripod option is nice, but unfortunately I can't accomplish it (yet). AC016...I was planning to shoot the full HD 24fps because from what I understand thats what movies/film are shot at and it seems to be working out pretty good for them Thanks for the link...a quick peek showed some very useful info. I will read the rest tonight as I prepare.
gqtuazon....Thanks for the the tips on S mode and I think you're spot on about the tripod. Hopefully I can position myself well enough to have to follow her through the air arcing almost directly overhead. It is supposed to be overcast early and then mostly sunny, as I do have a CPL filter do you think I should have it on if it stays overcast? I like the effects it had on my photos last weekend when it was bright and sunny with lots of white snow in the background.
Thanks again for the input, it is appreciated.