Any D7000 Owners get oil spots on sensor?

andy1read

Hi, I bought a Nikon D7000 6 weeks ago, and have been very impressed with it, both in photo quality and camera features That is, till I noticed I had spots on the sensor, which are caused from oil splatter when the mirror moves. They are noticeable at F10 and above.
Can any D7000 owners tell me if they have this problem, or used to have and the problem goes away after time?
I really want to keep the camera, as the controls and the features are very good, but I dont want my photos spoilt by spots , regular cleaning of the sensor is expensive and may cause damage to the sensor/filter.
My previous camera, was the D3100,, which I still have, and I have the Nikon 55-300 lens, and the Nikon SB-700 flash. The dilemma I have now is if I return my D7000(which I'm planning to do on Saturday) then I dont have many choices.
.I can keep using my D3100, and hope the D7000 replacement comes out soon, but that might be a long wait, and it might be expensive when it does. And after getting used to the D7000, it wont feel the same using my D3100.
The next step up from the D7000 in the Nikon range is more money than I want to spend.
To buy an alternative make of camera would also be expensive, as I would need to get another lens, and flash for it,and it might not have the features I like about the D7000.
I'm hoping a lot of people dont have this problem, and getting another camera might solve the issue.
On forums I've read some people have complained to Nikon and have had there Mirror box replaced, which I assume fixes the problem. I emailed Nikon yesterday about the problem, and also asked about a mirror box replacement.
I'm hoping other D7000 owners might have good news about the problem.
Any advice would be helpful,
Thanks Andy

AC016

This is an old problem and showed up on alot of D7000s when they first came out. There is plenty of talk on here about the issue. I would assume that if you did a search for the topic, you will come up with loads of posts.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
What makes you so sure that they are oil spots? Dust looks just like an oil spot on a sensor. I've got a D7000 and had dust, cleaned the sensor, dust gone. Sensor cleaning will not damage the sensor if done properly. Remember that you are not actually touching the sensor. You will be touching the filter in front of the sensor. This surface is not that easily scratched believe me. So in my opinion, your best investment would be to find someone in your area that could teach you sensor cleaning (doing your camera in front of you), buy the supplies and then you'll be able to do it on your own whenever. Don't let it scare you, it's not rocket science.

Welcome to the forum.

Dave_W

The Dude
My D7000 showed this same oil issue and my dealer sent it to Nikon and they replaced my entire mirror box. The reason for this is that models with the oil issue will continue to leak oil on the "sensor" unless the mirror box is replaced. If you purchased this camera from a local dealer, contact them asap and tell them you need it sent to Nikon. If you didn't buy it locally then contact Nikon and start the process of getting it fixed. The costs of shipping this to Nikon, along with insurance would be around $35 but a good dealer will do this for free.

This is the main reason I'm a big fan of buying locally from my dealer. Both my D7000 and D800 required servicing and in both cases it cost my nothing but a trip to my dealer (which ended up costing me a lot because I bought a lens while there....so maybe I should take that thought back. :eek: )

AC016

My D7000 showed this same oil issue and my dealer sent it to Nikon and they replaced my entire mirror box. The reason for this is that models with the oil issue will continue to leak oil on the "sensor" unless the mirror box is replaced. If you purchased this camera from a local dealer, contact them asap and tell them you need it sent to Nikon. If you didn't buy it locally then contact Nikon and start the process of getting it fixed. The costs of shipping this to Nikon, along with insurance would be around $35 but a good dealer will do this for free.

This is the main reason I'm a big fan of buying locally from my dealer. Both my D7000 and D800 required servicing and in both cases it cost my nothing but a trip to my dealer (which ended up costing me a lot because I bought a lens while there....so maybe I should take that thought back. :eek: )

You should send a lacky the next time you have to go in, that way you will not be tempted to buy something, lol:)

andy1read

Hi, thanks for the replys,
I've had my D3100 for 18 months, and done a lot of lens changes,and my D7000 for 6 weeks with 3/4 lens changes. yesterday I took test photos with my D3100 and D7000 with the same lens, at F22. The D3100 had a tiny spot only just noticeable (the sensor has never been cleaned) The D7000 had at least 10 very noticeable spots and probably more if I looked closer.
Unhappy about this I took it back to the shop I bought it from, intending to get a refund, or exchange for a new one. The salesman explained to that it might be dust, and that its normal to get some oil from the mechanism on the sensor.He then started cleaning sensor with swab, repeatedly taking photos at F22, removing the lens, Mirror up, swab the lens, then checking the photo, after 5/6 cleans, he told me it was nearly clean, but the battery was too low to continue. I could bring it back in with a fully charged battery, and he would clean it for me. As he said it was nearly cleaned, I bought some swabs and solution and intended to finish the cleaning myself when I got home.
When I got home, I took another test photo, and compared it to my previous test photo. To my disappointment, it wasn't any better, some spots had gone, got some new spots, and some smeared spots, that now were lines. I decided not to bother opening the swabs and cleaning myself. As the salesman cleaning had such little effect.
Theres so many people with D7000, I cant imagine they all have this problem.
I'm wondering if i'm just unlucky with the D7000 I bought, and its from an old batch, and newer ones dont have the same problem.
Unless I hear some news on this forum,or Nikon tell me they will change the mirror box, I will return the D7000 on Saturday and get a refund . Then I can decide whether to try getting another D7000. I really like the camera, but as I mentioned earlier ,the spots on the photos are unacceptable.
thanks,
Andy

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Could you post pictures of the dust before cleaning and after you came home with it?

I remember when I first had my D7000 cleaned, the guy had to use a different solvent to achieve a spotless result. It it smeared, then maybe it is oil from the mirror mechanism after all.

I guess it happens.

andy1read

Hi Dave W,
I did buy it locally, which at the time I was pleased I did, thinking If I do have any problems I'll be able to get them sorted easily. But they dont seem that keen on sorting it . other than offering to clean the sensor, which isn't much help,just a temporary fix.
When I mentioned I thought there might be a fault causeing the problem, they where quite certain that it wasnt a fault and that it was what to expect with DSLR, spots on the sensor. He was that certain there was nothing wrong with the camera, he said if I returned the camera, he would just clean the sensor and put it back on sale. Which made me wonder if I was the first person to own it.
After getting the mirror box changed, did you get many spots on your sensor?
thanks Andy

Just-Clayton

I get the same isue with my d300s. I have to clean it regularly. About every other month. not sure if its dust or oil. I also have a reacuring hair that shows up on pictures.

andy1read

I returned the camera today, and got a full refund. I didn't really want to part with my D7000 as I had it set up as I wanted it, but I wasn't happy with the spots and I don't like the way the shop is run.
They will be cleaning the sensor of the D7000 I returned, and selling as new, and they also "borrow" cameras from the shop when they want to use a camera. Which was confirmed by the salesman who I spoke to in Jessops on the home from returning the D7000, as he used to work there !!!
I was going to order a new D7000 online tonight from Jessops, but after hearing they might go into Administration , thats probably not a good idea.

The serial number on the D7000 was 6429938, I assume low numbered serials are older cameras, and higher numbers would be newer. Can anyone tell me if they have or havent had problems,and whether their serial numbers are higher or lower. I'm asking , as I'm hoping the D7000 I bought might have been older stock, and buying another D7000 might be new stock from Nikon and not have the problem.
thanks Andy

AC016

I returned the camera today, and got a full refund. I didn't really want to part with my D7000 as I had it set up as I wanted it, but I wasn't happy with the spots and I don't like the way the shop is run.
They will be cleaning the sensor of the D7000 I returned, and selling as new, and they also "borrow" cameras from the shop when they want to use a camera. Which was confirmed by the salesman who I spoke to in Jessops on the home from returning the D7000, as he used to work there !!!
I was going to order a new D7000 online tonight from Jessops, but after hearing they might go into Administration , thats probably not a good idea.

The serial number on the D7000 was 6429938, I assume low numbered serials are older cameras, and higher numbers would be newer. Can anyone tell me if they have or havent had problems,and whether their serial numbers are higher or lower. I'm asking , as I'm hoping the D7000 I bought might have been older stock, and buying another D7000 might be new stock from Nikon and not have the problem.
thanks Andy

Dude, that sucks. Happy to hear you managed to get your money back. Don't deal with that store again! I guess the only other option is Amazon?

rizwan

I am facing the same issue, however confiused eirther these oil spots are on Sensor or on Mirror Box, m bit confused how to deal with this problem. previously i had been using D90 and i personally feel Nikon so far coudlnt release any model better than this, as i am not satisfied with D7000. please if any one else facing the same problem do share the solution.Regards Rizwan

BackdoorArts

If it's on the mirror box then you will see them in the viewfinder and not on the image.

I had some spotting with my D7000 but after a couple wet cleanings and 10K actuations I've had no recurrence.

06Honda

Nikon quality has decreased alot and this should not happen to an expensive camera especially since they have been making good quality cameras for years. Must be taking short cuts to increase profit.

eli

Have had my D7000 since its initial release, having been one of the first to secure the camera. Within the first 6,000 shots, it developed
a great deal of dust. I had the sensor cleaned at a local camera store and then i discovered an oil spot. Brought it back to the store and
i was told it was an oil spot. I then went to Nikon and they serviced it, cleaning the sensor. They calibrated the auto focus and i am very pleased with the result. However, i still have only about 7000 actuations and was thinking about upgrading to full frame. Then the 7100 came out. As i think of the oil/dust issues, I wonder about switching to Canon, if it is worth the loss of money i would suffer on lenses,
the D7000's reduced value, the grip. But. . . it does appear there is a lot of noise about NIkon's lack of quality control and its failure to respond to the oil issues on the D600. SO, oil is a problem, we all need to learn how to maintain our cameras, but Nikon should manufacture a quality product with quality control the equivalent of its wonderfully engineered cameras.