Is this camera still a good purchase?

Hi everyone, excuse a non-owner for coming here, but I wasn't really sure where else to turn!

I'll just get right to the point, basically, I need to buy the best DSLR for my photography-minor for under $500 (dad buying, out of my control haha) and after a bunch of research, this seems to be the best option. I was just curious but despite this camera not being brand new, is it still a good buy and something that won't get dated? (I'm used to technology needing to constantly be replaced)

And do you think for $500 (obviously there will be some bias lol) this is the best camera you can buy? I heard Canon recommendations, and have a Canon p&s, are there any basic differences between Nikon and Canon, aside from just the brands and marketing and stuff?

I also heard that the autofocus motor isn't built into the camera but the lens, do you think the stock 18-55mm lens comes with autofocus? I've heard about the d5100 too, but the d3100 seemed to get better reviews, and being able to get it for $480 from any store with a lens seems like a great deal, I'm just curious how it'll hold up as I get more advanced into photography (I know basics of shutter/aperture/ISO/white balance), so would this pretty much have everything I need?

Thanks much for any thoughts, really appreciated :D

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
A D5100 is an awesome camera and yes, the kit lens will auto-focus on a D5100. Any lens that has an "S" after AF will work.

A D5100 is an awesome camera and yes, the kit lens will auto-focus on a D5100. Any lens that has an "S" after AF will work.

Ah okay, thanks! Yeah I see the "S" on the lens description so that works! But yeah, I don't think the d5100 is going to be in the budget because I just recently found OUT that I needed to get a DSLR versus my mostly-manual point and shoot and will probably splurge on a DSLR once I'm in the professional world, but for school and a first DSLR, I'm hoping the d3100 holds up and won't become obsolete anytime soon ^_^

SteveH

The D3100 has only just been superseded by the D3200 so is still reasonably "Current". I bought mine last March and I haven't looked back! If you get the D3100 for the right price, it is very good value.
I'd suggest taking an SD card to your nearest dealer, and try a few makes and models using your SD card, then when you get home have a good look at the pictures. Between the images you took and the "feel" of the cameras, you should be able to make your mind up which is best for you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Alecaldi

This is a personal opinion based on what pro photographers told me.

The idea is to invest not on cameras, but on lenses. If differences between cameras are not dramatic, then save the difference for a new lens.

Just my two cents, but I bought mine four days ago, so i can't tell really. Thus far, I'm happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

AC016

Just as with many other things, you have to think of what you want to do with the product. What features do you think you will need? As you grow into photography and eventually get hooked into one genre or another, you may find that another body may suit you better. Perhaps you will need more FPS or a better AF system for sports for example. Or perhaps you want to be able to change setting on the fly, like i can do with my D80. In the end, no need to buy a Ferrari unless you just want to show people you have money and want to show off. You can get from point A to B with a Chev or Ford. My suggestion is to buy the body that will enable you to do the photography you want to do and nothing more. Spend your money on the lenses. Many people buy pro cams for the wrong reasons and don't even use them to it's full potential. Many people upgrade to pro bodies from mid-range cameras and there is no difference in the results of their photography. The 3100 will serve you just fine for many years. Invest in the glass and get good at taking photographs.

thegaffney

I got my D5100 for under $500, refurbished from Nikon, came with everything you would get with a new one, and the 18-55mm lens, I spent a week reading up on what I could get for $500 and decided on that one, will be, and already have, bought nicer lenses for it though than the one it came with

stmv

sure,, and take a look at the entry on whether to choose glass or camera for investment, you are on the right track,,

Thanks everyone, I ended up getting the camera today and am loving it ^_^

The only thing I can see in the future is me getting a macro lens, because the focus of this doesn't match my point-and-shoot's 1cm macro minimum focus haha.

My dad only wanted to buy it if we had good warranty (1 year from Best Buy) and this should definitely meet my needs :D

jimbo54

I have the Nikkor 40mm 1:2.8 Micro and it does a great job for macro type shots. It has become my walking around lens as well and is fast enough for most low light situations.

Jim

Eye-level

Banned
I have a D5000 and a couple kick @ss lenses and I still suck...and a D4 or a D800 really wouldn't make a damn bit of difference...they might make it a little more comfortable but I am just saying...