Single focal point

Billys60

Hi folks

changed the focal setting to single point focus, I thought it would automatically focus on the centre sensor point which would enable me to focus on something then move to compose the image. However when I half press the shutter release it uses different focal sensors points only one but not always the same, I'm confused, help

stmv

the circular control button in the back lets you pick which single point you want to use, look thru the view vinder, and you can move the focal point to the center if that is what you want. Single focus points means that,, one focus point, not center focus,,

also, being able to move the single point around is handy, I like looking thru the view finder, and moving the focus point to the exact part of the image I want to be in focus, easier than moving the camera.

Robert Mitchell

That's a dynamic auto focus mode that is looking for a point that is closest to the lens. That's the criteria used to select the AF point and lock focus.

I'm not sure how to make the change on your body but you want to set the camera to a Single Point AF mode and in that mode you can select the AF point manually, whether you use center AF and focus/recompose (not recommended) or to change the AF point so you're as close as possible to the object or focal plane you want in focus.

alltimeqb

I had the same problem. I configured AF to single point and then got worried that my lens/camera was broken because it was focusing on one spot, the lower right, every time I took a picture. It wouldn't find a different focus point, I was beginning to think that the camera was broken... until I discovered that the single focus point was easily changed by pressing the multi-direction selector. It is configurable before every shot. Look in the lower left of the display when taking a shot, it will map-out where your single focus point is.

Vaughany

I feel foolish, tried to do some portraits recently and this was driving me crazy as I couldn't focus on the eyes!

Great answers :)

stmv

good intentions though,, I use single focus point > 75% of the time, especially with portraits, and like you say, I put the focus point right on the eye.