Natalie : Commercial Head Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Mitchell

The first of a few shoots with Natalie. A great head shot always gets the ball rolling.

Camera & Lens:
Nikon D700 & Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII

Settings:
200mm, ISO 200, f/11, 1/125s

Lighting: Hurley Setup
p1337234756-2.jpg

p1363863552-5.jpg

Sambr

Very nicely done :) however I don't know if I like the reflection of the soft box in her eyes she has such beautiful eyes and I am guessing she is Italian :)

Robert Mitchell

Hi Sam,

Here we go again.. lolol

I've tried to explain the reason for the lighting and I've also tried to have people understand that these are commercial head shots and not portraits, family photos or just pretty pictures.

I think I'll write a standard disclaimer that I post when I use this lighting setup for commercial head shots. If this were for modeling it would be different. It it were for a wall hanging it would be different. If I wanted to please other photographers it would be different.

I'm not sure that people understand what is meant by and what the intent is for a commercial head shot. It's not a portrait and if you're seen my portraiture you'll notice that this lighting setup is never used.

:)

Pierro

Despite the standard smiley icon waiver, its a sarcastic response to someone merely saying they didnt like the softbox catchlight refelction.

If you dont want responses other than ' wow' why post them? I agree with Sam anyways, despite the ' this is how its done ' attitude, the reflection is harsh and looks odd. Also, very minimal hair detail ? But if thats what the industry wants and if you say thats what they want, then great

Robert Mitchell

No sarcasm at all Pete. I have no problem with people not liking my work. If you knew me better you would know that. I don't look for "wow" and "great shot". I post to share my work and for those interested in lighting techniques or the "why" behind the lighting then I'm more than happy to explain.

If you don't like the catch lights, cool, but I'm trying to help those that are not in the industry understand what is done, what is wanted and what is accepted in the industry. Photographers are the only ones that ever comment on the catch light or don't like them. It's not that I have a "I don't give a f*ck what you think " attitude but I would think that others would be open to understanding why I do what I do and why it works in an industry that is very unfriendly and cutthroat. Having the right head shot is what makes a difference. If it didn't then I could be like all the other head shot photographers I know that are not helping their clients get work.

You may not like my answers but the reality is that myself and other working photographers don't market to other photographers. We market to clients and to an industry. We market to those that can hire these people and put money in their pockets.

Sorry if you don't like my answer or think I'm being sarcastic. If you've read enough of my posts and my descriptions of lighting and answers to questions asked of me you'd realize that I'm not full of myself and just have great passion for my work.

Sambr

That's interesting I was only commenting for my personal taste, that's all. No worries if that's what your clients want and like, who am I to say :)

Robert Mitchell

HI Sam.

No worries at all. I understand you were stating a preference. It seemed that the response was as if you were looking at a portrait and there is a distinct difference between a portrait and a head shot. I was merely trying to make light of the difference.

Pierro

Robert, sorry pal but i'm afraid you did start sarcastically - " here we go again " for one.. " i think i'll write a disclaimer " etc

Those are sacrcastic.. You state ' this is not a portrait ' yet its here in the portrait section. You obviously expect some kind of response or you wouldnt have posted it at all. So, what response were you hoping for, from a forum made up of mostly amateurs ?

Someone expressed an opinion, which is surely why its here.

It looks like you have stated these things before somewhere .. "I've tried to explain the reason for the lighting.." and " I'm not sure that people understand what is meant by and what the intent is for a commercial head shot. It's not a portrait "

If people here aren't getting it, I dont see the point of posting it.

Robert Mitchell

Sorry, Pal. I was hoping that those here and those that know me would get that little ribbing and not see it as sarcastic.

I expect nothing when I post. I enjoy sharing my work. If people like it, fine. If they don't, fine.

But since you don't like my responses and seem to know what I'm thinking and what I'm saying regardless of my explanation, then I'll make it really easy for you.

I simply won't post. I have tons of things to do and many places to share my images. I don't come here to be stroked or told what I'm really saying.

I've enjoyed myself here but don't need your attitude when all I've done is shared images and given explanations for the various types of lighting I use. It's much easier for me to just keep on working and not posting.

Typical forum mentality.

OK, Pal?

Pierro

So one or two posts you dont like has you publicy posting you're leaving ?

Martyrdom, typical forum mentality.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

So one or two posts you dont like has you publicy posting you're leaving ?

Martyrdom, typical forum mentality.

Please guys, quiet down a bit. Leave this alone for a bit and cool down. There is absolutely no point of continuing this argument. Please consider to take it easy at least for the weekend.

Robert Mitchell

No actually.. it's idiots like you that make me leave. I don't need the headache.

If you want to continue being an idiot then you have the place to yourself, Pete. enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.