New d7000 owner!

dickelfan

Got it last night....can't wait to use it. I am upgrading from a Nikon d40x that I have had for about 7 years. I still have a lot to learn, and will really be focusing on learning everything I can about this camera.

I mainly got it because we are expecting our first child any day now, and I wanted to upgrade so that I would have some great shots. I recently got the 35mm and 50 mm lenses as well.

Any suggestions on which lens to use the most for pics of new kid, and any settings you can recommend?

I also am a new lightroom 4 user, so will probably be shooting in RAW

Dave_W

The Dude
Welcome to Nikonites, dickelfan! Sounds like you have all the equipment you'll need to start off with. The most important thing you can do now is to learn your camera inside out. In addition to your manual (which you should read several times over) there is an excellent book by Darrel Young called "Mastering the D7000". He explains the different functions and settings for the D7000 and then gives his personal recommendations as well as why he likes that setting. Knowing your camera will save you a lot of headache and disappointment in the long run.

JMPhotoSD

Hey, congrats! I just too recently upgraded from my D90 to a D7k...worried that a newer version may come out soon, but I got it at a good price, so I just have to keep reminding myself of that!

Ken Lee

I mainly got it because we are expecting our first child any day now, and I wanted to upgrade so that I would have some great shots. I recently got the 35mm and 50 mm lenses as well.

Any suggestions on which lens to use the most for pics of new kid, and any settings you can recommend?

If you have either the 50mm f/1.8 or the f/1.4, those are excellent lens for portraits, and good and fast if your kid is gonna be moving around a lot. I have a 50mm f/1.4 that I use for portraits, close-ups or details, and concert/gig photography, and I absolutely love it. As a bonus, it's fairly easy on the pocketbook as well.

dickelfan

Thanks Ken....yes I recently got the 35mm f/1.8 and the 50mm f/1.8 for Christmas...hopefully both will work great with the new camera.

gioba59

I just upgrade my self this week from d40 to d7000 and I am sorry already :(
I will never be able to lear this camera,do they have d7000 for dummies?

emoxley

ideacipher

I just upgrade my self this week from d40 to d7000 and I am sorry already :(
I will never be able to lear this camera,do they have d7000 for dummies?

You can shoot a D7000 just like your D40 while learning. Don't get overwhelmed with the new controls because you can make it as simple as you need to and gradually work into the new features. I read the manual a few times and watched a few youtube vids and was was off to the races. I came from a D60 which is the same camera as the D40 pretty much. I upgraded to have more on camera control. Not as much menu play with these for sure. You will get the hang of it soon. Having a camera you need to grow into is a good thing if you ask me. It's a learning process and hopefully it pans out to be a good thing. Some people keep their D40's around and since they are so good at controlling them shoot them well after an upgrade.

With new camera remember they come from the factory soft so best set the sharpness to at least +6 and contrast to -1 ( so you dont burn whites) Then use P with auto iso 100-6400 and just blast away. if you have lightroom or equivalent shoot 1/2 stop under and adjust later... personally RAW is a total waste of time and effort but make sure you are always on Large unless its a shot for ebay ...
Good luck

Incubate

Have fun, have fun, have fun. When I started photography I was 13 and crap. Today's we have electronic files and not film, so get snap happy and erase the crap. Eventually you will start to work things out. Heck, I'm now 44 and still learning new stuff about photography every day.

stmv

a piece of advice, Fastest way to learn photography,, old school..

Set it to Manual...

Look to the viewfinder...

Front dial adjust the opening of the lens,, you can see in the viewfinder, bottom left the
number,, smaller the number the LARGER the lens opening,

back dial adust the speed of the shutter, left corner number, move the dial, watch the
shutter speed change

Look in the middle and watch the light meter change as you change those, and make the
light meter be in the middle,,

snap

repeat

learn what speed you can hand hold,,

learn effect of aperature

and enjoy how easy to take pictures...

two dials, and a light meter..

OLD SCHOOL Easy.... Film cameras were EASY!, my F3 manual is like 15 pages.. big print. more time to think about composition!

and best of all,, MORE FUN!

my cameras remain in Manual 98% of time.