+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Dangerspouse's Avatar

    Re: What did I do wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikew View Post
    Sometimes as photographers its not easy to see why some one would like one of our images more than another

    I put some shots on flickr, this one got more like than the second one, i much prefer the second as i see more character in the face.

    Attachment 318290


    Attachment 318291
    I understand what you're saying, and I guess it's just something I've got to get used to. As long as I know it wasn't my technique per se that was lacking, which is what I was worried about (although having said that, in a way I do wish it had been poor technique as that would at least be something I could address concretely).

    You know what's funny? I also prefer the first picture. They are both excellent shots, but that first one with the red eye and the lighter background is a combo that just grabbed me as soon as I saw it. The white version is just as good technically, but perhaps the fact that it's a sight so often seen by me that it's practically mundane made the difference. But as you say, you prefer that one. So...vive la différence!

    Thanks very much, Mike


    › See More: What did I do wrong?
    Thanks/Like mikew Thanks/liked this post
     
     
    • 0
    No change from last week
    Overall Rating from 0 users:

        • Center of Interest

          • Color Balance

            • Composition

              • Lighting

                • Print Presentation

                  • Story Telling

                    • Style

                      • Subject Matter

                        • Technical excellence

                          • Technique

                            • Impact

                              • Creativity

                            You cannot rate threads



                          • #22
                            Senior Member
                            Dangerspouse's Avatar

                            Re: What did I do wrong?

                            Quote Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
                            I liked your entry and the humor that went with it. I think you did a fine job.
                            Thanks very much Andy, that's very nice of you to say.


                          • #23
                            Senior Member
                            Dangerspouse's Avatar

                            Re: What did I do wrong?

                            Quote Originally Posted by Chris@sabor View Post
                            I think it was very clever and well executed. I'm finding that a lot of people just don't spend much time examining and contemplating photos. It has to GRAB them at about 1/1000 of a second or they move on. We live in an extremely fast paced world. especially online, so it's our responsibility to get peoples attention or we won't. My only critique is, perhaps it was too well lit. Some moody, dramatic lighting might have caught the viewer attention more. Maybe.
                            Thank you for the kind words, and the excellent points you made. I see what you mean about lighting and how I might otherwise have grabbed someone's attention more quickly by varying ti. Had I toned it down - either with less light, or dropping the overall exposure - it might have given it a more "clubby" feel, with the leather chair, hardwood floor, bookcase, etc. That was a very good observation. I'll keep that in mind when I compose things in the future.

                            Thanks again!

                          • #24
                            Senior Member
                            MorkC68's Avatar

                            Re: What did I do wrong?

                            I got three likes for my attempt in the competition, which is fair enough, it was far from a well compiled image. The weekly and monthly competitions have some truly amazing shots entered which set a very high bar to aim for.

                            The challenges, for me, are a learning tool to push me to get creative and improve somewhat.

                            Photography can be a very subjective, one person will see a truly amazing shot while the next person see's a photo, nothing more, nothing less.
                            Thanks/Like Dangerspouse Thanks/liked this post
                             
                            Nikon D7200
                            AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
                            AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II
                            AF-P DX NiKKOR 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

                          • #25
                            Senior Member
                            Dangerspouse's Avatar

                            Re: What did I do wrong?

                            Quote Originally Posted by MorkC68 View Post
                            I got three likes for my attempt in the competition, which is fair enough, it was far from a well compiled image. The weekly and monthly competitions have some truly amazing shots entered which set a very high bar to aim for.

                            The challenges, for me, are a learning tool to push me to get creative and improve somewhat.

                            Photography can be a very subjective, one person will see a truly amazing shot while the next person see's a photo, nothing more, nothing less.
                            Thank you for that. I agree with all of it. I was just curious, as a relative beginner, what technical shortcomings if any my diptych picture had which caused it to garner far fewer likes than all my previous pictures. To me, all of my offerings seemed of the same general skill level, yet that particular one was not rated as highly as the others and I was stumped as to why. I posted this query to see if I could gain insight, and thus improve. In much the same way you also use the challenges to improve.

                            Thanks again
                            Thanks/Like mikew, MorkC68 Thanks/liked this post
                             

                          • #26
                            Senior Member
                            Dawg Pics's Avatar

                            Re: What did I do wrong?

                            Kudos to you for asking for a critique on your image. It took me a year to ask for one.

                            FWIW, I don't know if you know anything about photo competitions. I only know about them by association because my Dad was a professional photographer who was in the local camera clubs, and I attended many of the photo competition meetings and image critiques. The title affects how people think about your image. The theme was "Books," but you titled or commented on the image, "Married Life." What were you really trying to convey with the image?

                            Think about why you did that. Did you call it that after composing the image or was married life really what you were going for plus some humor using books as a prop to get there? Just something to think about for the future.

                            I enjoy humor in images, keep it up. "Don't judge a book by it's cover." or something like that might have steered some people toward a different view of the image.
                            Last edited by Dawg Pics; 09-02-2019 at 07:32 PM.
                            Thanks/Like Dangerspouse Thanks/liked this post
                             
                            "Remember to gaze up at the night sky because there is a little bit of the cosmos in each of us."


                            Um yeahhhh, I shoot a lot of pics of my dogs.
                            D500 (DOB 05/26/17), D300, D80, SB-800. RIP-D100

                          • #27
                            Senior Member
                            Texas's Avatar

                            Re: What did I do wrong?

                            I often used to say (especially at the office): "Leave comedy to the professionals"
                            Thanks/Like Dangerspouse Thanks/liked this post
                             
                            D750, D100, Nikon 1 J5
                            (Once owned: EL, F2AS, D50, D90, D200, D300s, and D7100)

                          • #28
                            Senior Member
                            Dangerspouse's Avatar

                            Re: What did I do wrong?

                            Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Pics View Post
                            Kudos to you for asking for a critique on your image. It took me a year to ask for one.

                            FWIW, I don't know if you know anything about photo competitions. I only know about them by association because my Dad was a professional photographer who was in the local camera clubs, and I attended many of the photo competition meetings and image critiques. The title affects how people think about your image. The theme was "Books," but you titled or commented on the image, "Married Life." What were you really trying to convey with the image?

                            Think about why you did that. Did you call it that after composing the image or was married life really what you were going for plus some humor using books as a prop to get there? Just something to think about for the future.

                            I enjoy humor in images, keep it up. "Don't judge a book by it's cover." or something like that might have steered some people toward a different view of the image.
                            Wow, thanks very much for that considered advice, Dawg. Those were points I hadn't considered, and make an awful lot of sense. You're right, I don't have any knowledge of competitions at all. I did accidentally enter one a few months ago and took second place (you can read my - hopefully -funny account of it here). But other than that I'm a complete novice. So I do appreciate you passing on your insider tips here. I'll take them to heart.

                            All the best!

                            Thanks/Like Dawg Pics Thanks/liked this post
                             

                          • #29
                            Senior Member
                            Dangerspouse's Avatar

                            Re: What did I do wrong?

                            Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
                            I often used to say (especially at the office): "Leave comedy to the professionals"
                            Believe it or not, that is actually my profession. Or at least, it's a big part of it.





                          Quick Reply Quick Reply

                          If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

                          Tags for this Thread

                          Posting Permissions

                          • You may post new threads
                          • You may post replies
                          • You may not post attachments
                          • You may not edit your posts
                          •