Z8 Firmware 2.0 Update

blackstar

And today Nikon has a sale on Z8: $200 off (body only). Does anyone remember how much off for the last holiday sale? My hands itch as I keep pondering a high-res upgrade for my z6ii. It's still too high $ for me...

The rumor of z6iii says it could bring up to a 33M sensor. Should I wait?

Danno

And today Nikon has a sale on Z8: $200 off (body only). Does anyone remember how much off for the last holiday sale? My hands itch as I keep pondering a high-res upgrade for my z6ii. It's still too high $ for me...

The rumor of z6iii says it could bring up to a 33M sensor. Should I wait?
That is a tough question. The Z8 with FW2.0 is up a notch from what it was (and it was fantastic already). I do not think you would be disappointed. For me, there was a learning curve over my Z6. Unfortunately, the Z6 is mostly sitting in the safe now.

If it were me, I would still go for the Z8, no question. Then maybe replace my Z6 at some point, but I don't think waiting on a firm Z6III specs would be unreasonable if you feel the potential for a 33M sensor would meet your needs. But the latest rumor on "Nikon Rumors" is saying it will be the 24M stacked sensor.

blackstar

That is a tough question. The Z8 with FW2.0 is up a notch from what it was (and it was fantastic already). I do not think you would be disappointed. For me, there was a learning curve over my Z6. Unfortunately, the Z6 is mostly sitting in the safe now.

If it were me, I would still go for the Z8, no question. Then maybe replace my Z6 at some point, but I don't think waiting on a firm Z6III specs would be unreasonable if you feel the potential for a 33M sensor would meet your needs. But the latest rumor on "Nikon Rumors" is saying it will be the 24M stacked sensor.
Thanks for your opinion, Danno. My undecided plan: if I go for Z8, my Z6ii will stay as a backup or casual use. If I get Z6iii, Z6ii will go to a new user.

BF Hammer

My dream team "never could afford it" 1-2 combo would be Z8 plus a ZF currently. The lower res sensor actually bring some advantages, such as smaller file sizes. I don't know if it is because I have a 14 year old computer with the matching 14 year old 23" display. It only runs at 1080 vertical resolution so my 24MP photos don't disappoint at all. I suspect folks with more modern, extra-high-res, giant displays might not be as satisfied with with that.

blackstar

My dream team "never could afford it" 1-2 combo would be Z8 plus a ZF currently. The lower res sensor actually bring some advantages, such as smaller file sizes. I don't know if it is because I have a 14 year old computer with the matching 14 year old 23" display. It only runs at 1080 vertical resolution so my 24MP photos don't disappoint at all. I suspect folks with more modern, extra-high-res, giant displays might not be as satisfied with with that.
To me, the con of low-res sensors stems from the fact that when the subjects do not fill up the frame and have to be heavily cropped, you lose a lot of pixels that can show a big deal of "details" (for wildlife photos). Guess not everyone can always shoot at a well-closed distance for full-frame coverage?

Danno

I like the 24 MP sensor, and you are right about the big files. They eat up a lot of real estate. It also does better than the hire res sensors in low light. I also like the look of Zf, but I believe my second camera will be the Z6III if I can one day. The Zf is a bit hard to hold with my broken-up hands.

I really enjoy the Z8. I am anxious to take some "Pixil Shift" photos with it. I might head up to the State Capital.

BF Hammer

Hey Danno, here's the Wisconsin state capital for inspiration. With a 24MP D600. ;)

lm3Tyoz.jpg

Danno

Hey Danno, here's the Wisconsin state capital for inspiration. With a 24MP D600. ;)

lm3Tyoz.jpg
I like that. Very nice. I like that IR. I am from Wisconsin. I was there until '63, when my Dad moved us to Lexington, Kentucky. I lived in a little town Coon Valley not too far from LaCrosse. I love it up there. Madison is an interesting town. I took some HVAC application training on campus.