Z7ii on sale now

Clovishound

They're knocking $700 off the regular price.

$2300

If I hadn't just dropped a grand on the 105mm micro, I might be leveraging adding some of my money to Christmas presents to get this.

Clovishound

Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask the question here. Would moving up from the Z5 to the Z7ii be enough of an upgrade to justify spending more money than I am comfortable spending right now? I had a hard time parting with less than half this amount a couple months ago to get the 105 micro. I'm having a harder time justifying this. And yet, the pull is still there.

The big draw for me would be the high resolution sensor. Although, most of the reviews I have seen that compare the 48 MP sensors to the 24 MP FF sensors say that the difference is not substantial. I'm sure the AF is better, and perhaps the IBIS as well.

TwistedThrottle

Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask the question here. Would moving up from the Z5 to the Z7ii be enough of an upgrade to justify spending more money than I am comfortable spending right now? I had a hard time parting with less than half this amount a couple months ago to get the 105 micro. I'm having a harder time justifying this. And yet, the pull is still there.

The big draw for me would be the high resolution sensor. Although, most of the reviews I have seen that compare the 48 MP sensors to the 24 MP FF sensors say that the difference is not substantial. I'm sure the AF is better, and perhaps the IBIS as well.
If you are happy with what pops out of your Z5 without cropping, there isn't much difference. If you try cropping images coming out of the Z5 and are unhappy with the results, there is a substantial difference. The AF and IBIS is similar enough to not really notice a big difference. The biggest difference to me is the ability to crop or to shoot telephoto in DX mode to get the crop done in body- which helps keep the file size down. The 7 isnt as good with high ISO, low light shots, plus the file size is twice as big as the Z5 once the images make it to your computer, (don't forget the CFexpre$$ card and card reader).

To answer your question: Yes it's a substantial upgrade, but not if your uncomfortable spending the coin. Is there old gear you're not using to put towards the purchase? That could soften the blow. I sold some of my DSLR gear and it completely funded my new Zf. You'd be surprised how much you'd get off old gear, at least I was.