Where is the flash event mode?

alaios

Hi all,
I want to do with my d750 something quite simple. I am shooting events where light per different composition differs widely. For example, one face is under shadow the other one is on direct light. I want to use fast flash as fill to raise some shadows from the face.

I know that d750 does not like auto iso and flash. I understand the reasons and I also know most people's advice to use manual mode.
Still for events I suffer from the lack of a more automated mode. For example something that would keep my shutter speed at 1/200 or higher, aperture fixed on what I picked. I could do super fast some exposure compensation as I understand how matrix meter works.

I know that your advice would be to be on manual mode and just change fast iso (I can do that fast via the record movie button) but if I shoot under a shade and turn the camera on a scene which is lit by direct light that will be too many changes (not to mention that sometimes I might need to change also shutter speed as well to prevent crazily high iso values or overexposure at direct light).

What are your event photography settings for using flash as fill?

Thanks a lot
Alex

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Recently I photographed the Pennsbury Prom (used my SB-700 on a Stroboframe flash bracket). Various parts of the building had vast changes in the ambient lighting. I tried TTL, but TTL just isn't consistent. So I switched to Manual Mode with a set sync speed. Once I had the flash dialed in, all I needed to do was to raise or lower my ISO when moving from a really dark hallway to a brighter one. And changing ISO is pretty quick to do using the shortcut button and wheel.