What to do with Old Minolta AF Lenses

Karmann_65

Hi all.

I've been given 3 old lenses (previously used on a Dynax 7000 camera) and don't honestly know what to do with them.

There's a Minolta 35-70 AF, Minolta 70-210 AF and a Sigma 28-200 AF 1:4 5.6

I can't vouch for their condition in any way other than saying they don't look physically damaged and the lenses visually appear to be clean.

Would it be a wasted effort to try and resurrect these lenses from an old mans attic or worth a further look? I really don't want to persue this if they're actually no good or damaged internally. And is there a simple way to test the clarity/condition without first buying an adapter ring?

My camera is a D3100 (soon to be upgraded to a D5500) for which I already have a Nikon 35mm, Nikon kit lens and a Nikon 70-300

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA

Brian

Fred Kingston_RIP

The two Minolta lenses were the equivalent of kit lenses back in '85 and get good reviews... an adaptor is $35. Your D3100 almost certainly won't autofocus those lenses because it doesn't have a focus motor in the body...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
These are best used with mirrorless cameras where you can have live view manual focus at 100% magnification right in the viewfinder. So if you don't want to go that route yet, just put them aside and if, eventually Nikon comes out with a mirrorless camera, you could buy an adaptor and use them.

Nikon Photographer

Lenses from Minolta will work on Sony alpha cameras. This may include the e-mount NEX range, if used with an LA-EA1 or 2 adaptor, although there may be restrictions.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

KJProX

Those lenses work great on Sony Alpha DSLR's, I have several for my Sony camera. I've gotten some great deals on them. The 70-210 if it's the older version( Heavy and metal construction) is the "Legendary Beer Can" lens, and considered one to have if it's in good shape.

I hadn't even thought about adapting my Minolta lenses to my D200, I'll have to look into that.:D