Using a SB-600 remotely with a Z5

Bonky

Newbie here.... I can use the Speedlight with the Z5 via the hot-shoe. However, I wish to use it remotely. I can't see how I can do this (looking at the Z5 manual and Z5 menu). From what I've read I need a 'trigger' mounted on the hot-shoe. Is this correct? If so, what are your recommendations (I'd imagine the Nikon one is expensive!). Godox seems a good make - but which version?

Many thanks,

Richard

edit: or can I buy a SB-400 and use that as the controller/master and the SB-600 as a 'slave'? If so, which is the better option?

Last edited:

BF Hammer

Two options. Both require buying more stuff.

SB-600 when it was introduced 18 or so years ago could be controlled remotely via the Nikon CLS which uses encoded flashes from a master flash to control a remote. In those days most DSLRs had a pop-up flash that could be the master. Or the even more expensive SB-800 could be configured to be a master or remote. The 600 could only act as a remote. There is no pop-up on Z series (except a Z50), so it would take buying a SB-800 or later series equivalent to put in the hot shoe. Honestly I have never read through the menu of flash options of my Z5 to know if CLS is still supported by an external speed light. I don't have the right speedlight to do that.

Better way is buying a radio trigger. It is a better way normally since there is no preflashing and visible line of sight needed to operate. Should be cheaper also. I don't own any of these either so I cannot guide you beyond this.

But my SB-600 works fine as a remote with my DSLR D750 as it has the pop-up.

BF Hammer

In reply to your SB-400 question, it cannot be used as a master or remote flash with Nikon CLS. I have one of those also that came before my SB-600.

Clovishound

The cheapest way is with a cord, but that assumes you aren't going to locate it very far away from the camera, and don't mind a cord running from the camera to the flash. There are some non TTL triggers (like the Vello Freewave Fusion basic for Nikon) that should work with your camera and flash. They are relatively inexpensive, and the Vello mentioned has the Z5 on it's compatable list.

I have the Godox remote, but it is designed to work with the built in receiver in Godox flashes. If you need wireless, and TTL, it might be cheaper to just buy something like the excellent (IMO) Godox 685 (GN 197 @ ISO 100) and the remote trigger, than try and get a transmitter and receiver for the SB-600. If you don't need the extra power of the 685, the Godox 350 (GN 118 @ ISO 100 105mm) is a great smaller flash for less money. I believe the 350 has about the same power as your SB600, and the 685 has a bunch more.

FYI, I have the 685 and my daughter has the 350. Both have served us well.

Fred Kingston

Yes, you need a remote TX to plug into the hot shoe, and a remote trigger to mount the SB-600 on... Both Godox and Yongnuo make systems for Nikon for under $100... as well as several other no-name vendors for under $50...

The SB-600 uses Nikon CLS for remoter triggering, as mentioned. Also as mentioned, NONE of Nikon's mirrorless cameras support CLS...

BF Hammer

I am home now and have poked around in the Z5 Reference manual (the one that would hurt if you dropped on your toes). The Z5 does indeed support Nikon CLS just like the older DSLRs. But you need need an SB-800 or better to be the master flash in the hotshoe. Looks like Nikon really intended for the SB-500 and SB-5000 to be the speed lights of choice as those can be fully controlled from the camera menu system instead of poking through the controls on the clunky speedlight LCD. But all the controls are there like older cameras. Take note Fred.

The Nikon radio transmitter unit is SU-800 and that also can control CLS speed lights remotely.

This info is in the reference manual, NOT the user manual. It's a 26 MB download from Nikon. Look about page 263 and also around page 579.

Fred Kingston

I am home now and have poked around in the Z5 Reference manual (the one that would hurt if you dropped on your toes). The Z5 does indeed support Nikon CLS just like the older DSLRs. But you need need an SB-800 or better to be the master flash in the hotshoe. Looks like Nikon really intended for the SB-500 and SB-5000 to be the speed lights of choice as those can be fully controlled from the camera menu system instead of poking through the controls on the clunky speedlight LCD. But all the controls are there like older cameras. Take note Fred.

The Nikon radio transmitter unit is SU-800 and that also can control CLS speed lights remotely.

This info is in the reference manual, NOT the user manual. It's a 26 MB download from Nikon. Look about page 263 and also around page 579.

I'm looking at it from a cost-basis standpoint. There are a few Nikon solutions with added devices that are cost prohibitive, IMO... I'm afraid...

Fred Kingston

Thanks both; understood.

More money...!

R
Yup... If you go the Tr/Tx simple remote/trigger route, you can add inexpensive speedlights to your kit as you need them... The SB-800/SU-800 route is limiting to Nikon compatible stuff and gets expensive quickly... CLS is on its way out, and Nikon is replacing their CLS "flash" line with the better Technolgie of radio triggers...

Bonky

Thanks Fred; appreciated.
"If you go the Tr/Tx simple remote/trigger route," - please could you recommend makes and models for these items?
R

Fred Kingston

Amazon.com : YONGNUO YN622N-Kit YN622N Kit Wireless i-TTL Flash Trigger Kit for Nikon, Including 1X YN622N-TX Controller and 1X YN622N II Transceiver : Electronics

These are the ones I use... You can pick up additional remotes as needed... It lets you create 3 different lighting groups, which is pretty much everything the Nikon SU-800 lets you do... except it uses radio frequency rather than the limited CLS system of pre-flashes... and you can use ANY speedlight that's "nikon" compatible with them...