Upgrading from a 55-200mm zoom to 28-300mm

whoelius

There's also the DX/FX question. If you think you'll eventually move up to an FX camera, you have to be aware that the 55-300 is a DX lens, and so only designed to cover the smaller DX sensor.

And another thing - there were two 55-200 versions, with the second iteration (with VR) being a massive improvement. The 28-300 won't give much extra in the way of sharpness over the 55-200 VR, though it will give you a shed load of distortion. :p

AxeMan - Rick S.

You raise an eyebrow when you say the DX/FX question. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, The D3000, D3100 and the D7000 are all DX format. The 28-300mm is FX format and I think it will not work on a DX model. I put these models out there because if I upgrade it will be to one of those models, I want out of the D3000 and a FX model is out of the question. On a DX model the shortest and longest available is 55-300. If I'm right can you imagine if I buy a 28-300 for $1100 to find out it wouldn't work on a D3000. So is the 28-300 only for the FX models or not?

Thanks, Rick

johnwartjr

FX lenses work fine on DX.

A DX lens, on FX, however, does not. It will either work in a mode where the camera uses the center of the FX sensor only and cuts the megapixels in half, or it looks like a heavily vignetted image on the wide end.

Mark E

Any lens that is an AF-S will work on the D3000 reguardless if its an FX or DX. The AF-S has its own focus motor. You will love the 28x300. I particularly like the close focus capability. 18"