Topaz Photo AI 2 Supposedly a major Update

Woodyg3

Contributor
Tried out the newest version of Photo AI, which is supposed to be a major update. Honestly, I only see subtle differences in sharpening and noise reduction. They have two new beta functions, lighting and color balance. In my opinion neither does a good job when automated, and the sliders are so primitive in nature it is hard to really see the point of these "features." The interface is still very clunky, and it's still very far from a speed demon.

I'm still using DeNoise daily, and Sharpen AI in certain cases, and they both do a great job as Lightroom plug-ins. I wish Topaz would focus on these and not bother with the "all-in-one" until/if they finally develop a good all-in-one app.

Any one else have an opinion on version 2?

Fred Kingston

I wouldn't "buy" it... They still have a lot of issues... as mentioned, they're getting a LOT of pressure from the lower-end user community that wants a one click does everything product and it's siphoning off resources needed to fix stuff that doesn't work as planned.

Fred Kingston

I was not impressed with Photo AI, compared to using the individual programs. Of course, lots of folks want simple.

You might want to review it again... Just an FYI, they basically do a complete Update, EVERY Thursday... and have changed the Denoise and Sharpening models several times in the last few months. I use it on almost every image... The Denoise and Sharpening is by far, the leader in what's available that does the same functions...

Clovishound

I'll try it again, Fred. I find I run most of my macro shots through Sharpen these days. Of course with the new Z lens coming they will be super sharp from now on right from the camera. ;)

Peter7100

@Fred Kingston .......Fred, at the moment I own Topaz Denoise and recently I have downloaded a separate trial version of both Sharpen and Gigapixel. Would there be any point in my downloading the AI trial version or am I just going to experience the same results?
Thanks in advance.

Fred Kingston

No, you're probably NOT going to get the same results. The 3 core products haven't been updated in quite a while now (relatively speaking) as compared to Photo AI... Photo AI is getting all the new AI models as well as the "training"... In one-off instances where each of the core products might give a "better" result...Those results are subjective, in the grand scheme of things as Photo AI is going to get immediate attention and updating whereas the 3 core products are not.

Just from a work-flow standpoint, going from your main editor to Photo AI is eminently less intensive than moving in and out of the 3 core products...

Just a tip... Topaz is selling Photo AI as "automatic"... don't fall for that... I and many other users have turned OFF all the "automatic" stuff in the settings and turn ON only what we need... Even the sliders... I've turned them all down to their lowest settings...otherwise you're going to find that in full auto mode, PAI over-bakes the sharpening and denoise settings... <-- again, more subjective stuff...

Peter7100

No, you're probably NOT going to get the same results. The 3 core products haven't been updated in quite a while now (relatively speaking) as compared to Photo AI... Photo AI is getting all the new AI models as well as the "training"... In one-off instances where each of the core products might give a "better" result...Those results are subjective, in the grand scheme of things as Photo AI is going to get immediate attention and updating whereas the 3 core products are not.

Just from a work-flow standpoint, going from your main editor to Photo AI is eminently less intensive than moving in and out of the 3 core products...

Just a tip... Topaz is selling Photo AI as "automatic"... don't fall for that... I and many other users have turned OFF all the "automatic" stuff in the settings and turn ON only what we need... Even the sliders... I've turned them all down to their lowest settings...otherwise you're going to find that in full auto mode, PAI over-bakes the sharpening and denoise settings... <-- again, more subjective stuff...
Thanks Fred, I will download it soon.