Telephoto lenses

rijman

I've found it difficult to buy lenses for my D5200 especially because I want to find an affordable option and there are so many options with lenses to be aware of. First of all, is the lens compatible with the D5200, will it auto focus, does it have a fixed aperture, will it work with the camera in auto mode, does it have VR? There are a number of issues to resolve buying Nikkor lenses, I haven't even tried to figure this out for other lenses, how do I know which Sigma and Tamron lenses will auto focus on the D5200? I bought an older Nikkor 80-200 without auto focus , the aperture is fixed at 4.0 and I can't use the camera in auto mode, which I only do when I'm under the gun and not happy with the look in manual settings, I got a great price by I can barely use it and will probably resell it soon after buying it. I would like an 80-200mm or similar with auto focus with the D5200, even refurbished, at a good price, any suggestions?

mikew_RIP

I've found it difficult to buy lenses for my D5200 especially because I want to find an affordable option and there are so many options with lenses to be aware of. First of all, is the lens compatible with the D5200, will it auto focus, does it have a fixed aperture, will it work with the camera in auto mode, does it have VR? There are a number of issues to resolve buying Nikkor lenses, I haven't even tried to figure this out for other lenses, how do I know which Sigma and Tamron lenses will auto focus on the D5200? I bought an older Nikkor 80-200 without auto focus , the aperture is fixed at 4.0 and I can't use the camera in auto mode, which I only do when I'm under the gun and not happy with the look in manual settings, I got a great price by I can barely use it and will probably resell it soon after buying it. I would like an 80-200mm or similar with auto focus with the D5200, even refurbished, at a good price, any suggestions?

What do you call a good price,the Tamron 70-200 2.8 would meet your technical requirements,that just leaves price:D

rijman

Under $300, refurbished is OK. Some lenses are good bargains such as the Nikkor 55-200mm and 50mm f/1.8, imo. I want a good bargain for a better lens than the 55-200mm.

I have had the 150-500mm for a couple of weeks now but you take a chance using it on your D5200 as you cannot adjust the focus fine tune. This is critical with long focal lengths..you could find the true focus is 2 inches behind the bird you are photographing so the bird is out of focus.

salukfan111

Why not get a 300mm f/4.5 with a 1.4 or 2x teleconverter (ED around 250, non ED under 100). Supposedly this is one of if not the sharpest lens Nikon ever made.