Street photography exercise

Clovishound

The Pup and I went downtown this last weekend, and while we were walking around I noticed this interesting window and reflection. I tried several iterations of it, and wondered what the consensus, if any, there would be on the best way to go.

Here is the wider scene. There is a lot going on. The reflection of the building across the street, the detail in the wall, and brickwork peeking out, the interesting glassware inside the window, and the shapes of the window, frame and shutter.

_DAB8862.jpg

I moved closer and remained vertical to get more of the reflected building, and emphasize the glassware. I lose some of the interest of the frame, and wall.

_DAB8869.jpg

I switched back to landscape and got a little more of the frame.

_DAB8866.jpg

Moving in even further, I got nearly all reflection. I also lost the interest of the glassware.

_DAB8865.jpg

Last edited:

Clovishound

Not sure if the forum will allow me to post that many images in one post, so I thought I would make this a two parter.

The last thing I tried was B&W for a couple of them. I think in both of these the color version is better. The only advantage I saw was the ghostly quality of the glassware in the last two was enhanced, IMO.

Feel free to comment freely.

_DAB8862-2.jpg

_DAB8869-2.jpg

_DAB8866-2.jpg

lightcapture

Your first two photos work for me, especially the 1st photo. The blue against the pastel beige/brown works well not to mention the interesting subject too.

BF Hammer

I think you have reinforced there are infinite ways to photograph a scene, and dozens that are good. I cannot say there is a bad one.

Clovishound

Yes, I tend to lean toward the first one as well. There are elements of the others that I am drawn to, but it's a matter of trade offs to get some of those elements.

Needa

Challenge Team
The second for me like the way the paint defect almost seems like a continuation of the bowl. Could do with out the QR code but that is street photography. Like seeing the experimentation. (y)