Star Trackers for astro

Dawg Pics

Hi Guys,
Star trackers are on sale, and I have been wanting one for a while now. Do you have one? If so, which one and is there anything I should know about it? Likes? Dislikes?
Thanks

BF Hammer

I don't exactly use a star tracker. I have an Alt-azimuth goto mount, Skywatcher AZ-GTi. But Skywatcher has alternate equatorial mode firmware and there are tutorials out there on what equatorial wedge and counter-weights to buy to do the conversion. Skywatcher specifically warns it is not appropriate for astrophotography, but it works for a reasonable price once you do the extra work and setup.

What I like is looking up an object in the phone app and the camera gets moved there even if i cannot see it with eyes. The load capacity is better than the common star trackers. But reports are the tracking will wander more. So no 5 minute single exposures.

BF Hammer

.In 2020 I took photos of the AZ-GTi and the parts that convert it to equatorial tracking. Today I have it converted back to Alt-Azimuth configuration for solar eclipse (easier to polar align that way when no Polaris visible). But I have rain and all cloudy in my forecast October 14 so it looks like a no-go for me.
jekOwxu.jpg

And in 2020 during my 1st year trying this I took these images.

G99YGER.jpg

9hiJYvA.jpg

Ph5V74p.jpg

Doubtful I would ever have gotten Triangulum Galaxy or Uranus without the goto feature. Completely invisible to me until I took photos.

Peter7100

.In 2020 I took photos of the AZ-GTi and the parts that convert it to equatorial tracking. Today I have it converted back to Alt-Azimuth configuration for solar eclipse (easier to polar align that way when no Polaris visible). But I have rain and all cloudy in my forecast October 14 so it looks like a no-go for me.
jekOwxu.jpg

And in 2020 during my 1st year trying this I took these images.

G99YGER.jpg

9hiJYvA.jpg

Ph5V74p.jpg

Doubtful I would ever have gotten Triangulum Galaxy or Uranus without the goto feature. Completely invisible to me until I took photos.

Love the Orion Nebula image đź‘Ź