should I buy a DF just because I want one?

dieselnutjob

Hi

I recently sold my mint D750, and, because I could buy a new camera for business purposes, I bought a D780 and it basically hardly cost me more than what I got for the D750.
I bought the D780 because I have quite a few AF-D lenses, and I like them, and the D780 squeezes as much as is possible out of them.
I'm very happy with the D780.
Mirrorless is nice, but I just can't justify buying new lenses. I'm happy with my F mount stuff.

But

I have always wanted to have a go with a DF. I don't have a logical reason.
One thing is that my daughter has a D700 but struggles with the "pro" mode buttons, and, I think that maybe a dial based system where you can just look at it and see what it's doing might help her learn. She loves the output from the D700 sensor but only ever uses it Program mode. My daughter is an artist and takes fantastic photos. I think I would be okay with her borrowing my DF if I had one.

I just fancy getting a DF and putting a split screen in it, get some old manual lenses and pretend that I still have the FM2 that I had so many years ago.

One factor is, I thought that with the ZF coming out that maybe a bunch of DFs would hit the used market, but it just hasn't happened. There seem to be less around and prices are higher (whereas D700 prices have come down I think). If prices are just going to keep going up then I could buy one and if it turns out I don't get on with it then I could just sell it on and not lose out.

The odd thing about the DF is that reviewers don't seem to much like it, but actual owners love it and won't sell them.

thoughts?

BF Hammer

About your daughter relying on P-mode: I do not see switching to tactile dials as a way to change that. It is the fact that the Auto and P-mode exists that it is used. A DF still has those.

I only see the Df as a secondary body to use. The feature set is a serious downgrade from a D750 or D780. Still I myself tried to justify buying one over the years but I could not get past the high prices a used body still gets. It really is a nostalgia thing above all else. Especially when you consider the low-low prices that you can buy back a D750 for. It just is a better body on tech specs.

Myself, I am in early stages of moving to Z-mount. Still working on buying the Z lenses to replace F lenses I have and use with the adapter on a Z5. But I retain my D750 as a second body. When I reach a tipping point the D750 and most remaining lenses will get traded in for a new Z8. Would love to have a Zf as the second body, but even then I maybe don't see enough of a technical upgrade from the Z5 to buy one.

Needa

Challenge Team
If you want it and can afford it and will use it why not. No need to put your daughter in equation her photographic journey may never include anything outside of P mode. MPB has three from $940 to $1040.

Clovishound

I understand about the issue you raise with your daughter. My daughter is much the same. She says that messing with settings gets in the way of her creativity. She is very slowly starting to come around, although she will never be a tech head when it comes to photography. I have offered to get her an upgrade from her D5600, but she still doesn't want to give up the exposure modes her current camera has, and doesn't even want to consider a mirrorless. Heck, I would be willing to get her a D850, if she really wanted one, but I know she would not be happy with one at this time. I think if I am patient enough, she will eventually come around.

I do wish I had her artistic sense. She definitely has an eye for a good image, and a knack for finding something interesting when I just walk by and think, "Where is something good to shoot?". I'm very technically oriented and digital offers me the ability to take lots of images and fix issues in post.

dieselnutjob

If you want it and can afford it and will use it why not. No need to put your daughter in equation her photographic journey may never include anything outside of P mode. MPB has three from $940 to $1040.
that really is a lot of money isn't it? why are they so expensive?

BF Hammer

I understand about the issue you raise with your daughter. My daughter is much the same. She says that messing with settings gets in the way of her creativity. She is very slowly starting to come around, although she will never be a tech head when it comes to photography. I have offered to get her an upgrade from her D5600, but she still doesn't want to give up the exposure modes her current camera has, and doesn't even want to consider a mirrorless. Heck, I would be willing to get her a D850, if she really wanted one, but I know she would not be happy with one at this time. I think if I am patient enough, she will eventually come around.

I do wish I had her artistic sense. She definitely has an eye for a good image, and a knack for finding something interesting when I just walk by and think, "Where is something good to shoot?". I'm very technically oriented and digital offers me the ability to take lots of images and fix issues in post.
Honestly, I used P mode mostly with my D80 for about 3 years. I figured if the auto exposure worked, why force things? I eventually evolved to A and S modes, but full manual is only if they won't do the job I ask.

Peter7100

It's interesting to learn that after all these years people still seem to love the output of the D700. Clearly a great camera of it's time but how to find it compared to the D750 or D780?

dieselnutjob

I bought one.

There was one on Facebook market place for £500, but, I have come to the conclusion (in my opinion) that it's probably a scam. The seller says that the camera is in London, but lives in Manchester and works for (I think) a Korean employer, and won't answer Facebook messages.

I found another in Spain for 700 Euros, which works for me because my daughter is in Madrid at the moment, but again, the seller doesn't answer messages.

Then one came up on ebay from a shop in Japan for $902 USD, including post from Japan, which is, I think, as cheap as I'm going to get one, and it seems in nice condition with a reasonable returns policy, so I grabbed it.