Settings

bub307

slide-1.jpgWhat do I need to do to help the picture?

carguy

Good tips so far.

I shot hundreds of items in a pop up light box for ebay with my D40 and the 18-55 kit lens over the years. Items from watches to backpacks without issue.

bub307

Question I want to take that picture and put it on Facebook cover photo how to shoot it to fit that size? When I take this one into Photoshop and resize it look pinched.

aroy

Question I want to take that picture and put it on Facebook cover photo how to shoot it to fit that size? When I take this one into Photoshop and resize it look pinched.

When you resize the image, maintain the "Aspect Ratio". There should be a check box for it, so that when you type 1000 into one dimension the other side is automatically sized.

bub307

Yes I understand the Aspect Ratio but that image is still to big to fit in that area? Do I need to move the camera back from the object or what?

aroy

Yes I understand the Aspect Ratio but that image is still to big to fit in that area? Do I need to move the camera back from the object or what?
I am at sea as to what you want. Any way here are the options to the best of my understanding.

1. If the photo is too big (in terms of pixels), then you resize it. For example the images from my D3300 are 6,000 x 4,000 pixels. Now most sites do not allow this size, so I resize it to any of the following dimensions
- 1200 x 800
- 1000 x 667
- 800 x 534
- 600 x 400
- 300 x 200
All these sizes retain the original aspect ratio of 3:2. Choose the size that the site allows.

2. You need to move the camera back, only when the main object either overflows the image area or occupies the whole space without any thing else showing. For example if the Church you are shooting fills the whole frame, and you also want the grounds to come, then you move back, or use a wider focal length.

3. Your main object is too small and you want to cut the superfluous information. In this case you do it in two steps
- First you use software to crop the area of interest - that is cut only that portion of image that you want to show, and reject the rest. Save this cropped image to another file.
- Secondly you resize the cropped image, maintaining the original aspect ratio. As stated a few posts back, most software will maintain the aspect ratio if you tell it to. All you have to do is to input the dimensions of the long side (For this site most of us use 1000 pixels), and the software will calculate the other side.

bub307

DSC_0251.jpg
Ok sorry for being stupid but this is the image I want to make a 851px x 315px and when I do it makes the w851px ok but aspect is H551px

aroy

I get the problem
. The image is 600 x 359 (with aspect of 15:9)
. At 88% you get 528x316
. At 142% you get 852x510

So no way can you get 851x315 from 600x359 without changing the aspect ratio.

Last edited: