Set tripod height for wildlife photography

blackstar

What is the standard tripod height you set for wildlife photo shooting? Provided under a general nature scene: up sky; mid horizon; downfield or water. You may find (moving) targets in the air, on the horizon, in the near field, or on water (not some specific scene e.g., around a steep hillside or cliff, etc). Disregarding hand-hold shooting due to heavy gear weight, you want to set your tripod system for comfortable and effective operation: how high will your camera VF or EVF (also consider LV screen) be? your eye level, below eye level, or above eye level when standing normally straight up? How do you adjust your tripod legs (ring section connectors, not clip type, no center column) to meet your preferences when whole sections are not suitable? How do you mark the partial section?

Appreciate your sharing your experience and tips.

Clovishound

I normally try and set the tripod to put me on level with the animal I am shooting, if possible. It can mean that I have the tripod at an uncomfortable height. I shot this picture from as close to ground level as I could to try and be level with the bird, as it gives a more appealing look than looking up or down. Unfortunately, that meant I had to splay the tripod legs as far out as possible, and lay on the ground. Alternately, you can squat down and then use the rear screen. Apparently the bird was mortified by my undignified display.

_DAB1566-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg

If I can't get close to the height of the subject, I usually just extend to a comfortable height for looking through the viewfinder. I am more at home looking through the viewfinder rather than using the rear screen. I cut my teeth on 35mm film cameras, rather than a cell phone screen.

BF Hammer

I normally try and set the tripod to put me on level with the animal I am shooting, if possible. It can mean that I have the tripod at an uncomfortable height. I shot this picture from as close to ground level as I could to try and be level with the bird, as it gives a more appealing look than looking up or down. Unfortunately, that meant I had to splay the tripod legs as far out as possible, and lay on the ground. Alternately, you can squat down and then use the rear screen. Apparently the bird was mortified by my undignified display.

If I can't get close to the height of the subject, I usually just extend to a comfortable height for looking through the viewfinder. I am more at home looking through the viewfinder rather than using the rear screen. I cut my teeth on 35mm film cameras, rather than a cell phone screen.
Clovis, don't you sometimes wish that Nikon would make that Z body viewfinder so it could swivel up and be used like the old-type 90-degree viewfinder adapters? Or swivel to any angle between 0 and 90? It's a trick many mini-camcorders featured with their EVF in decades gone by. I think it should be considered for upcoming mirrorless bodies.

Clovishound

Never really thought of that. Might be interesting, if they ever decide to do it. I suppose they just figure the rear screen will work just fine.

Fred Kingston

They make these... but it's only compatible with the DSLRs, not the mirrorless cameras...they make the tilt screen in the Z series for that
1705805653478.png