Reverse Mounting Your Prime Lenses for Affordable Macro Photography

nickt

I tried my old filters on my 35mm lens. This is the 10x from a few inches away and some crops of the same shot. You might not get to crop as much on the d3100 files.

D71_1895a.jpg

D71_1895b.jpg

D71_1895c.jpg

Eob

I got the closeup filter kit a few days ago, and have been enjoying playing around with it. I have 1-10x, and they can stack excelt the 10x. I'm a little disappointed with the amount of magnification. How much more close up can be achived reversing on a 35mm lens?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 123

Mike D90

How much more close up can be achived reversing on a 35mm lens?

Quite a bit. This is the corner of a US currency bill, at actual photo size of 100% view, with a reversed 50mm. 35mm will still be pretty close to this. When you reverse a prime lens you are photographing at true macro size.

With those filters you bought you are only getting closer focus, not macro.

money_macro_05.jpg

Last edited:

480sparky

Would that be like 100x, or is that not how macro is measured?

Typically, a ratio of 1:1, or 1x magnification, is considered the start of macro.

This means the projected image on the film or sensor is the same as the actual size of the subject. So if you are shooting with a 24x36mm (Full Frame) camera, and you shoot a 24x36mm subject, at 1:1 or 1x the subject will fill the frame.

But this is not "official". There is no governing body with the authority to say exactly where 'macro' photography starts. 1:1 (1x) is simply a generally accepted consensus.

nickt

You should have plenty of pixels to crop your shots a bit and to give a closer look. What was your was your f-stop on these shots? I would go up to maybe f16 to get more in focus. You will likely need flash for that. Try shooting manual with flash, iso 100, 1/200 sec, f16 and get as close as you can. If you get it fairly sharp you should be able to crop some and zoom in.
Here is a sample I took with the d3100, with 35mm, the cheap 10x filter and the settings I mentioned above. The first is the original and the others are crops of the same shot.

DSC_0949.jpgDSC_0949-2.jpgDSC_0949-3.jpg

nickt

I've never really thought the 1x, 2x, etc on these filters meant anything useful. Just that the higher x number let me focus closer and therefore get a bigger image. The 10x was the only one I had fun playing with. Like Sparky said, the ratio is what we usually think about for macro.

480sparky

I've never really thought the 1x, 2x, etc on these filters meant anything useful. Just that the higher x number let me focus closer and therefore get a bigger image. The 10x was the only one I had fun playing with. Like Sparky said, the ratio is what we usually think about for macro.

Look close, and I'll bet they're not 1x (which, btw, would be a flat clear filter), 2x, etc. They're +1 diopter, +2 diopter, etc.

They DO mean something useful, but it's in the realm of optics and mathematics.

nickt

Look close, and I'll bet they're not 1x (which, btw, would be a flat clear filter), 2x, etc. They're +1 diopter, +2 diopter, etc.

They DO mean something useful, but it's in the realm of optics and mathematics.
Yes, you are right. They do say +1, etc. I never noticed it was not an x! And I can read through the +2 as well as my reading glasses which are also +2. So I guess these work by 'correcting' the camera's farsightedness.

x pt x

Hi... I have NK D5000 ... love macro and I usually use a Tamron 90 (new version) but I decided to try reverse method...

So bought the reverse ring... attached the 18-55 nikon... set the flash manual mode... attached my nissin 622 and I get a message : Flash is in TTL mode... put the nissin in manual ... nothing same error... the camera is in Manual mode.... I need help.... looked on the web but could not find a solution...

tayloredapps

Hi... I have NK D5000 ... love macro and I usually use a Tamron 90 (new version) but I decided to try reverse method...

So bought the reverse ring... attached the 18-55 nikon... set the flash manual mode... attached my nissin 622 and I get a message : Flash is in TTL mode... put the nissin in manual ... nothing same error... the camera is in Manual mode.... I need help.... looked on the web but could not find a solution...

You may have to change something in your camera settings to turn off TTL...not really sure.