Putting a Sigma 180mm APO macro lens onto Nikon D5100?

MrsBrookes

Hi Guys

i was was given what looks to be a really good sigma macro lens. I tried to fit it to my D5100 but it doesn't go on. I dont know much about lenses or lens compatibility but the fairly useless advisor in jessops said something about needing an A mount adapter? I have no idea what this is or where I could get one.

The lens says on it: sigma 180mm AF APO macro 1:5.6 I believe it is a 52mm size lens?

Any help would be amazing thank you

captain birdseye

if you contact sigma and explain your problem they may suggest changing the mount and also upgrading its firmware.
but. and its a big but. if it is indeed an f5.6 lens it will have been out of production for quite some time and they may not have the resources to remedy things for you.
you will need the serial number of the lens.
if the lens is a grey import they may decline assistance.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,first thing you need to know is what camera mount the lens is as it sounds like it may not be Nikon,some other fittings can be used on nikon via an adapter,you would lose all auto settings and most likely infinity focus,not that infinity focus is important for macro.

MrsBrookes

Hi guys thanks for the assistance. I emailed sigma who told me it's basically too old to be able to buy an adapter for. (Pretty sure this isn't true they probably just want me to buy something off them!) I had to email a photo as there'sno serial number on the lens and it didn't come with any packaging. Also noticed a massive scratch on the lens :( gutted as I cannot afford a new lens :(