protecting equipment from heat and cold

PLM

When traveling by car in the heat of summer, I'm always concerned about my camera gear being damaged when I need to be away from the vehicle, and it is not practical to take the gear with me. This could apply to cold of winter too, I suppose. Any suggestions or advice that you can share would be appreciated.

Patrick

Fred Kingston

$2 Styrofoam cooler... available from any grocery store... non-descript if you leave it in a locked car, better if in the trunk and out of sight.

Needa

Challenge Team
Place you equipment in the coolest location in your vehicle, low and in trunk if possible. If possible park in the shade. There are some excellent tints now available with good heat and UV rejection property's. Some testing of the time / temperature in your vehicle to compare to equipment specs might be in order. A large insulated bag? Might want to do something about moisture if you try it. I think @cwgrizz had talked about maybe trying a cooler.

Peter7100

This could apply to cold of winter too, I suppose. Any suggestions or advice that you can share would be appreciated.Patrick

For winter I would suggest it is often more important to keep the batteries warm. This can be done by keeping them in a warm jacket inside pocket.
I have used camera gear in very cold conditions without any issues by placing body/lenses in a plastic bag before taking them back into a warm enviroment after being out in extreme cold.

PLM

Thanks for the replies. I'll try the cooler and checking the temperatures with a laser thermometer. The plastic bag idea might be work well not only in cold conditions, but in dusty areas too.

Patrick

Fred Kingston

Just for further discussion...when using a cooler...be sure you don't use any type of ice or those gel paks to cool the cooler...they create condensation when exposed to ambient temps. <-- That would be bad joojoo for your camera and lens... Just a dry empty cooler should be sufficient to keep the stuff inside from exceeding Nikon's design temp. specs...