Post your Nikon 400mm 4.5 s Images

Rick M

A few to start us off,

DSC_1540.jpg

DSC_1569.jpg

Last edited:

TwistedThrottle

I sure like seeing the exif data for some reason, I hunt for it, lol! It seems incomplete when it doesn't show up. Bummer the eagles got their exif data stripped. Nice shots tho! How do you like shooting with the 400? Do you find it too short for birds or by switching into DX on your Z7, is 600 effective FOV sufficient in most scenarios? May I ask why you dont care for the teleconverters? I have the 2x I use with the 70-200 and I'm pleased with the results as long as theres enough light. Do you not like using converters in general or just with the 400?

Rick M

I sure like seeing the exif data for some reason, I hunt for it, lol! It seems incomplete when it doesn't show up. Bummer the eagles got their exif data stripped. Nice shots tho! How do you like shooting with the 400? Do you find it too short for birds or by switching into DX on your Z7, is 600 effective FOV sufficient in most scenarios? May I ask why you dont care for the teleconverters? I have the 2x I use with the 70-200 and I'm pleased with the results as long as theres enough light. Do you not like using converters in general or just with the 400?
I'm really enjoying the 400, it best matches my use needs. I just figured out it was an export setting. The 400 f4.5 is perfect for me and despite what the internet says, the Z7 can capture moving objects :). With the 45mp sensor, I prefer to shoot Fx and crop, that way I don't miss a close fly by.

The 400 is very compact, light and incredibly sharp. Its great for hiking or just sitting in my pavilion shooting wildlife in my backyard; this really requires a fast lens as I'm shooting in dense woods occasionally (faster would be better, but i dont want to hike 5 miles with a large heavy lens). IQ is more important for me than a distant shot that is "Ok", it matters when printing 24x36 for my shows. I'm not a huge fan of zooms (although the 70-200 2.8 is just amazing!), so the 400 is a perfect average for me.

I've done many of my own tests with TC's and feel a crop is equal when shooting at long distances. The Z7 makes that so much better. Birding is probably only 25% of my shooting, so again, the 400 fits my needs perfectly. The first attached shot below was so close I would have missed it with anything longer (or in Dx mode), its hard to track things this close with a long lens.

I'm trying to Focus more (lol) on more interesting shots. BIF is fun, but closer action shots are more interesting and unique, they sell better too.

DSC_1800.jpg

DSC_1890.jpg

Last edited:

TwistedThrottle

Its certainly on my shorlist! I'm leaning heavily towards the 400 vs the 180-600 for some of the same reasons you listed off. Thanks for sharing, I enjoy seeing your work!