Photography football

Yazan

Hello I'm a student trying to learn to take football (soccer) pictures but I have a nikon d3000 but I don't have a clue to use what kind of lens for football(soccer) pictures can someone give me some advices?

Needa

Challenge Team
Welcome! Under what conditions daytime, stands or sideline, etc. If you take an shot with your current lens what would you like to be different?

Clovishound

My daughter has the Nikon AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR lens. She got it as an upgrade from the AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED kit lens that she already had. It is a very good lens IMO.

It has several advantages over the kit lens. It is more robust(should last longer and endure more abuse), sharper, has vibration reduction (this would be important for sports photography) and is an FX mount (meaning it can be used with a full frame camera, if one upgrades down the road). The down side is that it is heavier and more expensive. The 70-300 kit lenses can be had relatively inexpensively. The 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR runs a good bit more, but is far less expensive than a larger, longer zoom. Those zooms can be rather heavy and more unwieldy as well. Used on your D3000 crop frame body, a 70-300mm lens will be effectively 105-450mm, which is a fair amount of reach.

BF Hammer

For outdoor field sports in general, you will want to get as much telephoto reach as you want to budget for. Consider a 70-300mm zoom lens to be the minimum. There are many out there to choose from. The last one I sold in trade for another lens I think I got a whole $35 in credit for. You should be able to score a good used lens for under $100USD.

If it works with the budget (and I expect it won't if you have a D3000 as your camera body) then I would try to find a used Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm zoom. It really is a better match to photographing the full range of the pitch.