Photographing paintings

TwistedThrottle

Nice photos!

Here's another question--if I buy a newer body like the D5600, will my D70s 28-105 kit lens fit on it?

Errm, how are you with manual focus? The D5600 doesn't have a focus motor, so your screw drive lens, (assuming your 18-105 is AF-D) has no way to focus unless you do it manually. Technically yes. it will fit and take pictures, it just wont autofocus anymore. Will you be happy manually focusing every time you want to take a picture? With the D3xxx and D5xxx, its best to stick with AF-S lenses, the newest models are also compatible with AF-P, but any lens listed as AF-D will become manual focus lenses on those bodies. The D7xxx has the focus motor though and will autofocus using the screw drive in AF-D lenses.

Dawg Pics

I do understand the exposure triangle and yes, I do need to work on more proper lighting. So my question is--is it really necessary tp upgrade my equipment (faster sensor, better lens, etc.) or not?

In a word, "no." :)

I agree with Fred. I shot images for an online auction gallery using a D80 and a decent lens. I mostly used my Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. The biggest challenge was inadequate lighting and reflections from paintings, glass and jewelry. I shot mostly using an attached Nikon SB-800 Speedlight and sometimes just the built in flash, depending on the situation. Now and then, we had to haul some crappy work lighting that we had and deal with the terrible color wash and shadows from a single light source. YUK!

You just need to get some decent lighting. Either stand lights or a decent flash if you have a way to bounce and diffuse it. I think bright, diffuse stand lighting is probably a better choice for this application. The D70, although long in the tooth, is plenty good enough for what you are doing. You don't need more pixels to post internet images.

Here is an example. I shot this reflective vintage print using my D80, bounce flash and the lousiest lens in my possession (old Nikkor 18-70mm f3.5-4.5G ED). I sat the print up against a backlit wall with only filtered bluish sunlight coming through the window of the wall it was propped against. The room was dimly light with only the filtered light. This is a jpeg image with no additional processing other than the camera's internal settings. I did crop it. It pretty well represents what you see in person within reason considering looking at images on a computer screen are never the same as looking at something in person. This print is pretty muddy in person with regards to color, and I think, the image is only a hair more vivid than what I see looking at it in person. If you notice the angel on the left looks kind of fuzzy, it is because the print looks like that.

If you choose to upgrade, and budget is a concern, I would upgrade in this order: Lighting, Lens, Camera. The Tamron 28-75 f2.8 is my favorite lens. I have an expensive Sigma 50-150 f2.8, and I don't like it as well as the Tammy. Good color and sharp. I can't recommend a lens though. I don't really do portrait stuff in a studio.

You are going to get as many answers as there are people on the forum. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jpeg Normal, ISO 320, 70mm, f8 at 125th, White Balance set to flash. The internal camera settings are set this way. I don't know why I did that. Probably experimenting. Sharpening: +1, Tone Compensation: A, Color mode: IIIa, Saturation: A, Hue Adjustment: 0.

vintage mary FR 7318.jpg

Last edited:

mikeee

@Dawg Pics -- She looks vaguely familiar...

DSC_8406.jpg

D7500 at 2000 iso, no flash on the nikkor af-s 35mm f1.8 dx

Guessing mine is not exactly the same as yours tho..

Last edited:

slsl6

Well, I need my shots to look like mikeee's. If I should get a prime (I think a 50 or 60 would work better for larger paintings), would that suffice with the D70s body? Both D Pics and mikeee have better cameras!awg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Going back to your question regarding the kit lens, a newer body will have a better sensor. On your D70s, perhaps the images taken with it look great. But if the lens isn't quite stellar, you will notice a difference in quality. So even if it does work, you might not be happy. I found that out when I upgraded from a D90 to the D7100. Suddenly it was very apparent the lens wasn't too sharp and lacked capturing details.

mikeee

Well, I need my shots to look like mikeee's. If I should get a prime (I think a 50 or 60 would work better for larger paintings), would that suffice with the D70s body? Both D Pics and mikeee have better cameras!awg

Dawg's picture and mine, may not be the same so mine might look more colorfull
yet, I only paid $549 for the refurb D7500 and the lens was $196, so not a lot.

I see Dawg has the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 and I was curious about that one.
I have the Sigma 50-100mm f1.8, and that is my portrait lens. Super, super sharp lens.

Dawg Pics

@mikeee
Yours is a lot more colorful than my old one. The one I have was my Mom's, and is probably older than me, and the quality of the print is pretty bad on mine. I like the colors in yours. That looks great for no lighting and ISO 2000. Shows how much cameras have improved over the years.

Thinking about shooting oil paintings and messing with the flash makes me remember how hard it was to get lighting on the paintings and prints using a bounce. Tends to be uneven. Forget trying to bounce off a wall that is painted anything other than white. Got lousy color wash from painted walls.

I think 2 good stand lights is the way to go. Even, controlled lighting, no weird colors, and no shadows. Shoot at lower ISO at an aperture that is sharpest for the lens. Solves a lot of problems. Then if the lens/camera is showing some kind of flaw, start looking at an upgrade.
Since I have no idea how the D3500 performs, I can't say if upgrading to that will allow for high enough ISO without degrading the image a good bit. I think use the best lighting possible for product images.

mikeee

I think mine is only 30 yrs old... lol
just thinking of the museum shots and not being able to use a flash in this case because a lot of paintings are old, and they museum people want to preserve them.
That's why I posted my pic.. D7500 is the same image sensor as your D500. I'd love to have one of those..

@mikeee
Yours is a lot more colorful than my old one. The one I have was my Mom's, and is probably older than me, and the quality of the print is pretty bad on mine. I like the colors in yours. That looks great for no lighting and ISO 2000. Shows how much cameras have improved over the years.

Thinking about shooting oil paintings and messing with the flash makes me remember how hard it was to get lighting on the paintings and prints using a bounce. Tends to be uneven. Forget trying to bounce off a wall that is painted anything other than white. Got lousy color wash from painted walls.

I think 2 good stand lights is the way to go. Even, controlled lighting, no weird colors, and no shadows. Shoot at lower ISO at an aperture that is sharpest for the lens. Solves a lot of problems. Then if the lens/camera is showing some kind of flaw, start looking at an upgrade.
Since I have no idea how the D3500 performs, I can't say if upgrading to that will allow for high enough ISO without degrading the image a good bit. I think use the best lighting possible for product images.

Dawg Pics

You are right, we have more recent cameras with lots of megapixels. The D80 is about 10 megapixels as opposed to the D70's 6 megapixels. The D7500 has fewer megapixels than the D3500, but they are still 20 megapixels and above. They have newer, more improved sensors and better ISO performance as well. I don't know if putting a prime lens on the D70 is going to get you where you want to be. I think most people on the forum would say to upgrade your system to a better resolution camera since the D70 is 17 year old technology.
If you could rent a lens and see if it improves your images to acceptable for your needs, that would be one way of approaching this or getting a system upgrade from a store that accepts returns is another approach. You could also get a body only and a good lens rather than kit lenses again. If you can check one out in the store that is even better. The D3500 is too small for me. I like a beefier camera.

I took this with my Tamron and bouncing my flash due to the reflections off of the glass. I am not the best flash photographer out there, but this gives you an idea anyway.
I changed a few things in the camera settings and did some processing in Affinity.
Mikeee's image is much better than mine without the benefit of flash. Neither the ISO performance nor resolution of the D70 or D80 are even close to the D7500.
Anyway, I hope I helped you think about some things to get you where you want to be. That is what this forum is all about.

birds in a frame_7348.jpg

Last edited:

slsl6

You all are very helpful to someone like me (learning!)! Dawg Pics--this example is so much better and sharper than anything I've taken. I think a good plan is to start with better lighting and see where it gets me. if that doesn't work I'll just have to bite the bullet and upgrade totally. If I do get a new body, do you recommend the D7500? How about the 5600? Would the Tamron 28-75 work for the paintings? These focal lengths would be decent for my all-around shots, too (although up to 85 or a bit more would be ideal)?

Dawg Pics

I would be out of my league with focal length recommendations. I think that depends on the size of the area you are shooting in and the size of the subjects. I have only one fixed lens and that is my 50mm f1.4. Cheap, plastic lens but really sharp.

I think getting good lighting is a great start, you need that no matter what camera or lens you decide on. The lighting will help you figure out what upgrade you need, if any. As far as equipment, I don't have any experience with the D3500, D5600 or D7500. I have a D500, which is similar to the D7500.

I do know that the D3500 is the entry level consumer camera. Nikon decided to remove the port to use an intervalometer or cable release, so you need to use their SnapBridge app. I haven't had much luck with SnapBridge, and even with SnapBridge, I don't think you have an intervalometer. It is only and issue if you need one for astrophotography or some other project. You can always use the self-timer if you need the camera to settle down for a long exposure. That is pretty much all I know about that camera.

I am sure some people will come along and make camera recommendations based on your budget and any other type of subjects you like to shoot. Good luck.

mikeee

You all are very helpful to someone like me (learning!)! Dawg Pics--this example is so much better and sharper than anything I've taken. I think a good plan is to start with better lighting and see where it gets me. if that doesn't work I'll just have to bite the bullet and upgrade totally. If I do get a new body, do you recommend the D7500? How about the 5600? Would the Tamron 28-75 work for the paintings? These focal lengths would be decent for my all-around shots, too (although up to 85 or a bit more would be ideal)?

If you're really learning and have not shot a lot of photos with that older camera, maybe it's worthwhile to spend some time learning to shoot if first?
You don't just use all the automatic settings do you? What are you shooting the paintings for?

slsl6

I've been shooting with it for a long time. Mostly outdoors, using the aperture setting with a tripod, and for my purposes, in jpeg. Lots of experience in post-processing.

Here's one i took a long time ago--it's as crisp as the lens will go (i think it's straight out of the camera, but I'm not sure).

Attachments

• sj--oak tree--1.jpg
    sj--oak tree--1.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 86

sl60

Thanks for asking!

Not yet, but I plan o at some point. What I did was was to update my lighting and that worked!