Photo of a shiny medal

Paliswe

Hi, I have been asked to take photos of some medals for a society. Some of the medals are very shiny and reflects like a mirror.
When I take picture of these I have a white paper, formed as a tube, with light on the outside and the camera looking thru the tube. That eliminates reflexions from the side, but the camera is harder to not get black reflexions from.
The medal on the picture is pure yellow metal, the black taint in the middle is simply the camera and the lens that is reflected. There are also a lot of black dots in the wreath, around the blue and red shield in the middle, that is reflections.
I have tried different methods in post with Lightroom and some in Photoshop but I don't have the skills to solve the problem in these programs.
Anyone that has any good ideas how to do this?
Regards,

NZ6_9219.jpg

Last edited:

Needa

Challenge Team
Not sure the white tube is a good idea. The reason the inside of a lens is black is to reduce stray light, since all the light coming up the tube is not at the same angle you may have stray light. For small object it is possible to build or purchase small light boxes for even lighting. Do an online search for light boxes and or DIY light boxes.

Last edited:

Paliswe

My thought with a white paper around, is to get light thru from the outside, without reflexions of the light in the medal. I get a very soft light inside the tube.
The problem is the black camera and the black lens that is reflected in the object.

Needa

Challenge Team
Maybe I misunderstood so you are using the paper tube to create a round light box. How are you lighting the tube and is the light coming from the opening camera end soft? There is a poster on here who occasional posts some nice watch pictures maybe he will jump in. When I shot some pictures for online sale I used a DIY light box that covered all sides with a slit in the front for the lens, even so how the sides were lit was important.

Fred Kingston

If you replace the word "blank" in your thread title with the word "shiny" and place the entire title in a google search bar, you'll get a couple hundred videos and tutorials on how to do this.