Peak Design Everyday Backpack, magnetic closures, and my newer MacBook

desmobob

In my seemingly never-ending search for a handy camera pack, I finally gave in and ordered a 30L Everyday Backpack from Peak Design. I watched countless YouTube videos before finally clicking the "Buy" button (and wincing with pain from the price).

So, naturally, as per Murphy's law now that it's ordered, I stumbled onto a few written reviews that mention the magnetic closures in that pack turning on or waking up "sleeping" or turned off MacBooks being inserted into the pack's notebook sleeve. Apparently this had been an issue previously but there was a way to program the MacBooks so they wouldn't respond to the magnets. It seems there is no way to do this to the newer M1 MacBooks, which is what I have.

I know this is a pretty popular photo backpack and I'm wondering if this really is a common issue... it seems like it should have showed up in one of the many, many videos I watched, or would show up in a lot of reviews. Those M1 MacBooks have been out for at least a couple of years.

Anyone had any experience with this issue or have any knowledge of it happening?

desmobob

For sure.

I just watched at least another dozen or more reviews of the pack and several of the reviewers had MacBooks. There was not a single mention of the issue. On the other hand, a reviewer on the product page on Amazon actually posted a video of his MacBook booting up as he inserted it into the bag.

The bag arrives tomorrow, so I'll know if it's an issue for me by the end of the day!

desmobob

Got it. I'm very pleased with the bag. The 30L is not as large as I imagined (which is a good thing; I was worried it was going to be too large for easy, casual, everyday use). It is exactly the size I wanted and the unique features all work as advertised. There are NUMEROUS reviews of the Everyday Backpack on YouTube and that made it easy to make a decision on ordering the pack (V2, 30L, charcoal color).

I repeatedly inserted/removed my 13" MacBook Pro M1 from every angle and both orientations and it slept soundly. :) I also tested my old 13" MacBook Pro just for the heck of it and there were no issues with it either. Same for my Acer Aspire 15.6" notebook and, again, no problems.

I'll be out in the woods with it soon to see how I really like it...

BF Hammer

Great news!

I use a Peak Design Slide strap, and I bought a pair of the kits that adapt most any strap to use their Anchor Link system. The kits only are a little bit too expensive but the rest of their gear is way too much for my budget.

desmobob

The Peak Design stuff is not inexpensive. Hopefully, the quality and durability will justify the price I paid. They do offer a used/refurb/returns selection on their website. I was considering that as a slightly more affordable avenue. At the time I ordered my 30L Everyday Backpack, they didn't have the one I wanted in that department. Of course, now they do... :rolleyes:

After transferring equipment from another bag and test-fitting different combinations, I find the Everyday Backpack isn't as space-efficient as some bags, but it makes up for it in convenience (or so it seems; all theoretical at this point until I get out and use it).

My old Lowepro Orion waist/fanny/shoulder pack is my most used and most loved/hated bag. It is not really useable as a waist/fanny pack unless it is very lightly loaded. When loaded, it is just too heavy to used as a waist/fanny pack and really inconvenient to use as a shoulder bag.

Lowepro Orion.jpeg

It's also just a tiny bit too small to carry what I'd really like to carry, especially now that my newer AF-S G lenses are so much larger diameter than the old AF-D and AiS versions. Same goes for a very nice new Lowepro Nova 180 AW I bought recently. It's functional as a small shoulder bag, but just a touch too small for what I want. The next size up from the 180 seems considerably larger and looks just a bit too large for me. (Call me Goldilocks! :D)

I know there is no such thing as the perfect bag and I have more than enough hiking, hunting and photo packs and bags hanging from the rafters in my basement to prove it. I've sort of aged out of the backpacking hobby, so I might sell off a few backpacks to fund another photo bag or two in search of that nearly-perfect camera bag that I just know is out there somewhere. In the mean time, I'll be finding out just how close the 30L Everyday Backpack comes to it. :)

Last edited: