nikonbill's "when I can post" 2024

Needa

Challenge Team
I went in the "Middle" with my edit

Using Affinity, sometimes I have more of a personal challenge to get the look I'm going for. I like to see what the camera is thinking (I consider it much smarter than me) using NX Studio as a baseline. Getting proficient with my editor (Affinity) is a personal goal.
Good to have choices.

nikonbill

Contributor
Thanks Needa,

So true, I will get there at some point. Lots of fun playing. I recently discovered some settings I changed from an online tip in my developing settings that pulled me off base for a while. 🤣

Last edited:

nikonbill

Contributor
I have been busy with life stuff, but on the photo side I just acquired the Topaz AI2 software

I'm using forum tips I have read and felt like I kind of knew the program from the start. I turned off the "auto" as I prefer to have control. Here is one of my first efforts on a very average quality photo of a northern parula. I shoot all RAW image files and when I want "straight out of camera" I export from NX Studio to jpg with no adjustments

Straight out of camera
DSC_2261.JPG

This is processed using Affinity Photo2 and adjusted after processing using Topaz AI2 - I'm pretty impressed, I have lots to learn but believe this will be a worthwhile tool
DSC_2261 AF_Topaz-topaz-enhance-2x sm.jpg

I'm thinking I still over sharpened a bit - comments welcomed

nikonbill

Contributor
Thanks Needa - appreciate your observations. I see what you mean

I am really surprised at the Topaz capabilities, it seems it will be much faster than the intracit smaller steps in the full editor

nikonbill

Contributor
Getting used to Topaz AI2 a bit more - here is a wood duck photo that I could never really get "usable" its far from a great sharp shot. We were at Magee Marsh area and where we stayed there was a lake and the owner said the wood ducks would be out in the morning. This is a heavy crop, the ducks were on to me very quick and were moving away.

I'm getting pretty impressed

Original (just the crop used and after develop module)
Original wood ducks sm.jpg

Here is Topaz noise reduction - sharpening - and colors and then processed to my taste in Affinity then upscale in Topaz after export. All image's are reduced to the forum standard (long side 1024) for posting but you can really see the difference.
Wood Ducks sm.jpg

nikonbill

Contributor
We went to Savannah GA recently for a little break, I've got processing to do :) here are some favorites

I was fascinated to find a Palliated woodpecker in Bonaventure Cemetery of all places just posing away
pileated in Savannah sm.jpg

nikonbill

Contributor
I got out to work on gate photos this evening. My first thought of a good one is the gate at the main entrance to the Gettysburg National Cemetery

Gettysburg cemetery sm.jpg

I cannot decide if this composition is too busy