Nikon d3400 black screen help!

jbotelho7

Hello. I just used my camera last weekend and it was working perfectly fine. Today I went to turn it on and the screen is black. The camera turns on and I was able to look through the view finder and click the shutter button to take a picture but can not see anything on the screen, no settings or photos. What can cause this?

Bikerbrent

Welcome aboard jbotelho7, enjoy the ride. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

Clovishound

I would first remove the battery, then hit the shutter button and hold it down a few seconds. Reinsert the battery and see if the monitor comes back on. The next would be to reset all functions.

If that doesn't work I guess the next step is to call Nikon customer service.

Good luck.

Fred Kingston

There's a Menu option to "Reset All Settings"... I would remove the battery first.... Then re-insert the battery, and then do the "reset All Settings" menu option and see if that helps

blackstar

I would think maybe you accidentally hit or turn the adjusting button that changes the view of the viewfinder/screen to "viewfinder only"?

Clovishound

I don't think they have that feature on the D3400. I quickly looked through the menus and didn't see anything about disabling the monitor. I also didn't see any buttons or dials that would turn off the monitor. I believe that is only on the mirrorless cameras.

The only other thing that comes to mind is to try Live View and see if the monitor comes up for that.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
If you press the 'i' button on the lower left, does the rear screen illuminate with information? Just wondering if the rear display itself might be having issues. If info shows up, then maybe the Play button isn't working correctly.

TwistedThrottle

You might want to double check that there aren't any buttons stuck in a half way position. Sometimes buttons get sticky and dont pop back the way they should once depressed. This will make electronics behave in unexpected ways. Running your finger over every button in kind of a circular motion should give you some feedback if there is one that feels different than the others. Lightly clean with an alcohol wipe if you find any sticky buttons and try again.

BF Hammer

I think a lot of people here just are not reading the original post. He can see through the optical viewfinder and take a photo. So it is not possible to be stuck in a LiveView or something.

Try the resets suggested earlier, but it's just broken if that does not resolve things. Off to Nikon repair center.

blackstar

I don't think they have that feature on the D3400. I quickly looked through the menus and didn't see anything about disabling the monitor. I also didn't see any buttons or dials that would turn off the monitor. I believe that is only on the mirrorless cameras.

The only other thing that comes to mind is to try Live View and see if the monitor comes up for that.
My sold D3500 does have a button beside VF used to change views of LV/VF. Not sure about D3400 though.

BF Hammer

My sold D3500 does have a button beside VF used to change views of LV/VF. Not sure about D3400 though.
Uhh, by definition LiveView raises the mirror and opens the shutter. The optical viewfinder is blocked off and black when that happens. I think all that button you remember about is simply the LiveView on/off. But your mirrorless Z body has the button next to the EVF to switch view between the EVF and screen.

BF Hammer

Getting really obscure here: Is the camera connected to any device by the USB cable when this problem is happening? Try the obvious and disconnect it. I also believe the camera will still display information with the SD card removed. But maybe remove and reseat it?

blackstar

Uhh, by definition LiveView raises the mirror and opens the shutter. The optical viewfinder is blocked off and black when that happens. I think all that button you remember about is simply the LiveView on/off. But your mirrorless Z body has the button next to the EVF to switch view between the EVF and screen.
I also remember that there is a lever you can swing to turn on LV screen when in "VF only" mode.

AW, where is OP now?

Dawg Pics

The D3400 only has a Live View button on the back of it. The Live View button was replaced by a toggle switch by the mode dial on the D3500. That is all I know about it.