NIKKOr 200-400mm f/4G eD Vr II Autofocus Issue?

Cowleystjames

I'm considering buying this lens, and will be trying one next week from my local store. However, here's the rub, I would like the ability to use my TC-17EⅡor TC-20EⅢwhich the Nikon website says is compatible, but it also states that autofocus is only possible on the s TC-14E/TC-14EⅡ.
The actual quote is: AF-I/AF-S Teleconverters TC-14E/TC-14EⅡ/TC-17EⅡ**/TC-20E**/TC-20EⅡ**/TC-20EⅢ** are usable. (**Autofocus is not possible.)
Am I being dense as even with the 2x converter you'd only be up to f8 which both my D800e and D4 can cope with or am I missing something here?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Can't say for sure but I think at f8, the center cross AF point can only AF with the TC. I would bring both TCs to the store once you get there and ask the sales clerk if you can try the lens with your tc using both cameras.

Fred Kingston_RIP

The TC-20E yadda yadda was announced in 2009... and that's when the specs were written... The D800 was announced in 2012... see where I'm going here??? :) Nikon's not real good at going back and updating the spec's for stuff...