Forums
New posts
Search forums
What's new
New posts
New media
New media comments
New profile posts
Latest activity
Media
New media
New comments
Search media
Members
Current visitors
New profile posts
Search profile posts
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Search
Search titles only
By:
New posts
Search forums
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
Nikonites
New Member Introductions
New Member, New Nikon Owner
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="RPulley" data-source="post: 848251" data-attributes="member: 71642"><p>Hi all,</p><p></p><p>Old guy, former Pentax user in the process of switching to Nikon. I literally had used Pentax gear since I started shooting film in the late 1970's.</p><p>Most recently I had been using the Pentax K-1 MkII and had a very nice assortment of lenses. I loved the K-1 in most ways, and I mainly shoot landscapes and some people for fun and occasionally for events (unpaid).</p><p></p><p>From day one when I started shooting, while Pentax was my first gear choice for various reasons, Nikon was a close second. After the latest Pentax product development vague "update", it was clear to me that there was no path forward for me from the K-1. I will likely need one more camera in my life, so I made the difficult decision to pack up my Pentax gear and trade it in on a Nikon D850 body and a couple of lenses.</p><p></p><p>I am not sold on mirrorless at this point, but at least with Nikon there is a path forward and many lenses will continue to work with the Z bodies in the future.</p><p></p><p>The D850 is quite a beast, larger then the K-1 but about the same weight.</p><p></p><p>I have the body initial setup done in ways I think will work for me, but time will tell about that as there are lots of setup choices to get the body working in the most efficient ways for me. </p><p></p><p>I will miss the Pentax IBIS and the associated star tracking feature the most, but I will not miss the slow autofocus performance.</p><p></p><p>I can't wait to get out and put some clicks on the D850.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="RPulley, post: 848251, member: 71642"] Hi all, Old guy, former Pentax user in the process of switching to Nikon. I literally had used Pentax gear since I started shooting film in the late 1970's. Most recently I had been using the Pentax K-1 MkII and had a very nice assortment of lenses. I loved the K-1 in most ways, and I mainly shoot landscapes and some people for fun and occasionally for events (unpaid). From day one when I started shooting, while Pentax was my first gear choice for various reasons, Nikon was a close second. After the latest Pentax product development vague "update", it was clear to me that there was no path forward for me from the K-1. I will likely need one more camera in my life, so I made the difficult decision to pack up my Pentax gear and trade it in on a Nikon D850 body and a couple of lenses. I am not sold on mirrorless at this point, but at least with Nikon there is a path forward and many lenses will continue to work with the Z bodies in the future. The D850 is quite a beast, larger then the K-1 but about the same weight. I have the body initial setup done in ways I think will work for me, but time will tell about that as there are lots of setup choices to get the body working in the most efficient ways for me. I will miss the Pentax IBIS and the associated star tracking feature the most, but I will not miss the slow autofocus performance. I can't wait to get out and put some clicks on the D850. [/QUOTE]
Verification
Post reply
Forums
Nikonites
New Member Introductions
New Member, New Nikon Owner
Top