Needa's Lame Likenesses!

Needa

Challenge Team
As you well know, railroad photography is unforgiving. You have to envision a shot without the subject and figure through factors of safety, lighting, shutter speed, composition and when to trip the shutter. Depending on train density, there's often no second chance.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes! Those Brightline trains can be running up to 70MPH even in metro areas.
Usually shoot manual mode. Set exposure before arrival matrix metering (if its bright off sky). AF-C, single point (BBF) most of the time on the front using 24-120 and un-zoom and pan as it approaches trying to get several decent shots in. With the Brightline train sometimes an additional shot can be had the front and back are identical.
Also have used the single shutter trip at the composition I was hoping for, may be best option for D5100. Its interesting the thing that throws me most of my game is the feeling of power from the train (especially freight) when in close proximity.

Keep those images coming. (y)

Sandpatch

Thanks for the reply.

Yes! Those Brightline trains can be running up to 70MPH even in metro areas.
Usually shoot manual mode. Set exposure before arrival matrix metering (if its bright off sky). AF-C, single point (BBF) most of the time on the front using 24-120 and un-zoom and pan as it approaches trying to get several decent shots in. With the Brightline train sometimes an additional shot can be had the front and back are identical.
Also have used the single shutter trip at the composition I was hoping for, may be best option for D5100. Its interesting the thing that throws me most of my game is the feeling of power from the train (especially freight) when in close proximity.

Keep those images coming. (y)

To think that when I shot film, I never owned a motor drive and did as you noted -- tripping the shutter at the right time to complete a balanced composition. I have better luck with that at slower train speeds, but at 60 MPH, a train covers 88 FT/SEC and if I'm near the track, I can't time it right. At a significant distance, timing the shot becomes much easier.

Wow, those Brightline trains are fast. A few years ago I was trackside at a rural location in SC as Amtrak's Palmetto flashed past. Even with my D5100 on continuous, the FPS is too slow for faster trains and none of the shots was worth keeping.

Needa

Challenge Team
D81_0822.jpg

Typical S Fl weather note band of shower behind the center building. Shortly after this picture was taken the lighting warnings started sounding.

Bikerbrent

Welcome aboard BobT, enjoy the ride. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.