Let's be careful out there folks

Clovishound

Got up early this morning to go take pictures at the Audubon Garden Swamp. It was overcast and misting rain, but I decided to stick around and try out my homemade rain cape. It was a tad awkward, but worked fine. After I'd been there about an hour I suddenly noticed my left thumb was stiff, and swelling. Within a very short time, it was visibly swollen and starting to bruise up. Thought it was a spider bite, but decided to pack up. By the time I got back to the car, I decided a trip to the doc in the box was warranted, in case it was a recluse bite. By the time I got into town I changed my mind to the little emergency room near my house. Doc thinks it may have been a snake bite. Kept me there a few hours, and drew blood. Swelling started going down and she figures, if it was a snake bite, it didn't inject much venom. Neither she nor I could think of what else would cause it. A few minutes prior to symptoms, I was squatting down taking pictures, and put that hand down on the pine needles to help with standing up. I don't remember feeling anything, but if a snake nailed me, that was when it must have happened.

Did manage to get a few decent shots. I thought it was a good sign when an owl posed for me before I even got through the gate. Little did I know there was a price to pay for good signs.

_DAB9839-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg

_DAB0210-DeNoiseAI-low-light copy.jpg

_DAB0183-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg

Last edited:

BF Hammer

Wow, I just don't have enough rattlesnakes in my neighborhood to even bother to think much. I do consider them in the rocky terrain of the Wisconsin driftless area which is where they mostly live here.

Do you suppose it could have been a baby snake? Small fangs and not able to deliver much venom?

Clovishound

If it was a snake, and neither I or the doctor had any other reasonable explanation, I believe it would have to be a very small one. I'm pretty sure if it had been an adult, I would have seen and felt it, and there would have been obvious fang marks. I have read that the small ones can be more dangerous because they cannot control their venom delivery and will inject everything they have. An adult will adjust the amount depending on their perception of the situation. Of course there are other factors that can limit the amount of venom injected.

FYI hand is better today, less swollen and feels better overall. I just wish I knew for sure if it was a snake, or something else. "I may have been bitten by a snake." just isn't as cool a story as "I was bitten by a snake.". ;)

Clovishound

I've had a couple days to think about this, and decide how I want to move forward. I have spent a lot of time amongst some of the more dangerous critters in our area for decades. I've been an avid river diver for many years, dealing with gators and moccasins in close quarters. I have been a lackluster hunter, close to feral hogs, snakes, ticks, gators etc. It never really bothered me much, but then I've never had one "get" me either. I'm determined not to let this keep me out of the woods enjoying the activities I love, but I will admit it has given me pause to consider. I went out and bought a pair of snake boots yesterday, and am thinking about carrying a tarp in case I need to lay down to shoot low angle shots. At the very least, I will rethink putting my hands on the ground where there is leaf litter, or other hiding places.

Have any of you thought it necessary to take precautions from snakes, and if so how?

Clovishound

Well, it looks like I wasted my money on the snake boots. Yesterday I was mowing the backyard and had the exact same thing happen to me, although not quite as badly. Little to no chance I was bitten by a snake. Also it happened in exactly the same place. I have a doctors appointment Monday to see if this is something I need to worry about, and possibly get an answer to what's going on.

There goes another good story down the drain.

Clovishound

Well, actually the point was that it is almost certain that I was never bitten by a snake. There was doubt the first time that it was a snake bite, but seemed to fit the situation. Since I had exactly the same symptoms nearly two weeks later, with little to no chance I was bitten this time, I have something else going on to produce these symptoms.

Fred Kingston

Well, actually the point was that it is almost certain that I was never bitten by a snake. There was doubt the first time that it was a snake bite, but seemed to fit the situation. Since I had exactly the same symptoms nearly two weeks later, with little to no chance I was bitten this time, I have something else going on to produce these symptoms.
Can I have your cameras? :D

BF Hammer

You were doing outdoor activities both times. Possible allergic reaction? Could be worth asking your doc if maybe you could try taking Benadryl right away if you had it happen again.

Needa

Challenge Team
My wife had similar she thought it was a spider bite. Just an oversized mosquito bite to start with used hydrochloride cream on it and it disappeared but came back sometime later, larger. The Dr gave her an Rx fine now, never determined the cause.

Clovishound

Discovered this in my new boots this morning.

_DAB1036.jpg

Not to worry, this species is Thamnophis Gummis.

More commonly known as the rubber snake.

The Pup was trying to have a little fun with me. There will be retaliation.

Clovishound

Well, even when wearing my new snake proof boots, it's still a good idea to pay attention to where you step. I ran into this little guy this morning while out shooting. Yes, it's not a poisonous variety, but it was a good reminder. I copperhead would have been very difficult to spot in this leaf litter. This little snake in the grass stuck out like a sore thumb.

_DAB1490-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg

_DAB1546-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg

Needa

Challenge Team
Well, even when wearing my new snake proof boots, it's still a good idea to pay attention to where you step. I ran into this little guy this morning while out shooting. Yes, it's not a poisonous variety, but it was a good reminder. I copperhead would have been very difficult to spot in this leaf litter. This little snake in the grass stuck out like a sore thumb.

View attachment 393922

View attachment 393923
Seems to be eating well.